Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voltage for charger

Options
  • 15-06-2015 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini and am buying a power bank portable charger for it. I've come across ones that say 2600mAh, and ones that say 5600mAh. Which voltage should I buy? I've heard using the wrong voltage can damage electrical items so I'm wary.
    Is ebay okay to buy from? I know they used to have them in Penneys (2600 I think) for €8, but they also have these on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/281543388364?var=580566475793&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Those numbers are the capacity ( milliAmp hours)of the batteries in the units, not the voltage.

Regular smartphones all charge at a little over 5 volts, which is the normal computer USB port voltage.

The battery in your S4 mini is 1900mAh, so either of the sizes you mention will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

When you factor in shipping and the exchange rate though that doesnt represent a good deal really.
    You could do no wrong looking in a decent tesco maybe they usually have powerbanks around a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Thank you both for your replies. So would it be better to get the one with 5600? Would it last longer charge wise?
    I looked in tesco but the one they have is €19.99, I only really need it for a few uses so that would be too much for me. Do you think one like that from eBay would be good enough? Or would one from penneys if they still had them be better?
    Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I wouldn't buy it on e bay I bought 2 i phone chargers didn't last 2 weeks ended up buying a good one in phone shop
    I bought the portable charger in pennnys no problem with it
    Don't know now what I paid for it now

Thank you both for your replies. So would it be better to get the one with 5600? Would it last longer charge wise?
    I looked in tesco but the one they have is €19.99, I only really need it for a few uses so that would be too much for me. Do you think one like that from eBay would be good enough? Or would one from penneys if they still had them be better?
    Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for any advice!
    is there a euro giant near ya?
    they have them there now. think the one you are looking at is 5e

• Advertisement

lulu1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy it on e bay I bought 2 i phone chargers didn't last 2 weeks ended up buying a good one in phone shop
    I bought the portable charger in pennnys no problem with it
    Don't know now what I paid for it now

Does the penneys one give a good long charge? If I see it I will buy that one as I think it's about €8 and see how it is. Otherwise I'll just get the eBay one and hope for the best. Thanks for replying :)

daytob wrote: »
    is there a euro giant near ya?
    they have them there now. think the one you are looking at is 5e

Oops didn't see this before my last reply. I'll be in Dublin this week so I'll have a look in euro giant too, thank you! It's only really for a few days I would need it the most, it just needs to give a good charge while I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The 5600mAh one should be able to recharge your phone from flat to full charge almost three times before needing to be recharged itself. The lower capacity one wouldn't even charge it one and a half times before needing to be recharged. I'd go for the higher capacity one as being more useful and better value.

The 5600mAh one should be able to recharge your phone from flat to full charge almost three times before needing to be recharged itself. The lower capacity one wouldn't even charge it one and a half times before needing to be recharged. I'd go for the higher capacity one as being more useful and better value.

Thank you, I might get the 5600mAh one on eBay then if it would last longer.

Just out of one of the euro stores. * mods I dont have an affiliation with any of them
    anyways this is what my crappy one had.

powerbanksweuo6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

daytob wrote: »
    Just out of one of the euro stores. * mods I dont have an affiliation with any of them
    anyways this is what my crappy one had.

powerbanksweuo6.jpg

Hi, thanks for this.

Did you see what price that 7800mAh one is?

Bottom right.

powerbanksweuo7.jpg

Looks like the 5200 is €15, so it's probably €18/20?

Advertisement