Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dealer valuation of my car

Options
  • 14-06-2015 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Looking at upgrading my car and really want a car I've seen with a dealer. It's a 2011 1.6 diesel Mazda 5 with 85000km. Had it checked over by a mechanic, gave it a 24 hr test drive and am really happy with it. It's €16.5k and he said he's had it a month.

My trade-in is a 1.4 petrol 08 Peugeot 207 SW with 75000km. I've looked online and only found a few for sale in this model on carzone. They range in price from €5.8 to 6.2k and have higher mileage than mine. I have also found SE and SX versions, same yr and mileage for sale on carsireland for €6k - 7.5k. (I paid 7.5k for mine 2 years ago). The dealer is only offering me 4.1k for mine. Said it was because ppl don't really want petrol as much anymore and they're harder to sell on. And also the model is not so widely known and therefore isn't worth as much. I had been with a different dealer a week ago and he said he'd offer me 4.5k for it.

So my question is, do you think it's good value to get the mazda for 12.4k cash and a free tank of diesel? Is the dealer giving me a good deal for my trade-in, or should I be looking for more for my trade-in?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Always find these delaings very difficult.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Money sounds strong to me on it but maybe they are making that I'm not sure. Not giving you the best trade in on your own I thought it would be worth 5 k against the mazda at that price. Sure hopefully someone will post with more experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Frenchbebe wrote: »
    Looking at upgrading my car and really want a car I've seen with a dealer. It's a 2011 1.6 diesel Mazda 5 with 85000km. Had it checked over by a mechanic, gave it a 24 hr test drive and am really happy with it. It's €16.5k and he said he's had it a month.

My trade-in is a 1.4 petrol 08 Peugeot 207 SW with 75000km. I've looked online and only found a few for sale in this model on carzone. They range in price from €5.8 to 6.2k and have higher mileage than mine. I have also found SE and SX versions, same yr and mileage for sale on carsireland for €6k - 7.5k. (I paid 7.5k for mine 2 years ago). The dealer is only offering me 4.1k for mine. Said it was because ppl don't really want petrol as much anymore and they're harder to sell on. And also the model is not so widely known and therefore isn't worth as much. I had been with a different dealer a week ago and he said he'd offer me 4.5k for it.

So my question is, do you think it's good value to get the mazda for 12.4k cash and a free tank of diesel? Is the dealer giving me a good deal for my trade-in, or should I be looking for more for my trade-in?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Always find these delaings very difficult.

The prices you see on carsireland are "asking" prices, not what the price they are actually selling for. If someone was buying a similar 208 sw from the dealer with no trade i, they would buy it for alot less that the "asking" price. So the dealer has to buy it from you for much less than they sell it for as they have to spend money on fixing any issues, valet it and give the next owner a warranty with it. Also you said yourself that you paid €7.5k for it 2 years ago so your hardly going to get most of that money back 2 years later.

Here are a few examples being sold from garages for below €6k:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Peugeot/207/SW-SE/160914310801354320/
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Peugeot/207/SW-ST/151514272966176190/

Granted the mileage on them is a little higher but your not going to be talking thousands more for a lower mileage example. Personally I think if you can get €5k for your car off a garage you will be doing well. But the only way to know if you are getting a good deal is to find a 2011 Mazda 5 diesel in another garage and see what money they want from you to trade up.

Advertisement