Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started

Options
  • 14-06-2015 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

So I'm 18 and after watching a few airsoft videos I have decided this is a sport I'd like to get into. I live in Killarney and I'm just wondering where the nearest airsoft club would be. I want to make sure that it is a sport I'd like to stick at because after looking at gear online, it definitely isn't a cheap sport and money isn't something I can be wasting at the moment. Also, what equipment would I need to get started off with if I did decide to take up airsoft?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Sardonicus

So I'm 18 and after watching a few airsoft videos I have decided this is a sport I'd like to get into. I live in Killarney and I'm just wondering where the nearest airsoft club would be. I want to make sure that it is a sport I'd like to stick at because after looking at gear online, it definitely isn't a cheap sport and money isn't something I can be wasting at the moment. Also, what equipment would I need to get started off with if I did decide to take up airsoft?

I know it's a bit up the road from you, but there's a really great crew of guys play in Limerick every week - don't think they're on here any more but you will find the club and info on FB.

Look for LAC - Limerick Airsoft Camp.

I'm sure there are shops and clubs in Kerry - just not aware of any, but I'm sure that some on here will give you the heads-up...

Many guys get into the sport and decide the gaming aspect isn't for them - preferring collecting or plinking against a few targets. All valid aspects of the sport and valuable members of the community.

You don't need to get much gear to get started - you can even rent AEG's st most sites.
    Don't be too worried about camo, vests etc either - you will see all sorts at sites - from full gillie suits and accurate military unit representations to guys in jeans and t-shirt, baseball cap...

Have a look and see what you think works well, ask locals their advice - most guys are extremely helpful and friendly.

The only thing you really need is a good pair of boots and eye protection. Most sites will also rent full face protection.

There's loads more but check out the LAC guys and I'm sure others will let you know about sites and shops closer to you.

Hope this helps

aka Defenderdude…

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

I concur that LAC is a great play to play. Tralee IT have an airsoft club and they play at LAC fairly often so you may be able to get some info from someone who goes to Tralee IT

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

ShRT wrote:
    I concur that LAC is a great play to play. Tralee IT have an airsoft club and they play at LAC fairly often so you may be able to get some info from someone who goes to Tralee IT

Sounds pretty good, will probably end up going to IT Tralee anyway so that's dead handy. Thanks! Also, would you recommend getting an electric pistol or a gas one? Read online that most airsofters carry a gas one along with their main weapon but wasnt entirely sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Let's start at the basics first .
    Get to a site and try a day or two of actual gaming and see how you feel as posted already most sites do rental packages once you prebook .
    Equipment wise from the ground up .

1. Good quality hiking boot or military boot plenty of brands to choose from ,most sites are based on uneven ground good boots will be one of your most important pieces of equipment.
    2.Good quality eye protection most of our airsoft retailers stock a decent variety of eye and face protection (do not skimp on eye protection )you only have 2 eyes and they aren't replaceable.
    3.Camo or clothing a basic pair of outdoor trousers /combats are ideal for starting out something quick drying and light weight especially in out climate can be picked up on line for €10-€50 depending on your budget
    Or you can buy fairly cheap army surplus online to get started on a budget .

Aeg Gun wise it's all down to personal preference and what you find comfortable with we have everything from bolt actions rifles to M60's M249's AK's M4/16 and so on .
    When at a site don't be afraid to ask about kit and guns we all love showing off and most of us are fairly friendly (especially if cookies are involved)

You can buy new guns from €160+ or you might grab a 2nd hand bargin on here or numerous Facebook pages .
    Most of our quality retailers will point you in the right direction when you're ready to buy too .

Other than that don't be afraid to ask questions we were all noobs at some stage .
    And welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

+1 on "try before you buy"

Kit is not the "be all and end all" of the game, having fun and getting to know the game is where you start.
    As Gatling said, your no.1 item is eye and / or face protection. And a good strong comfortable pair of boots will be your best friends everyday.
    Have a blast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Also very interested in taking up the sport...

I've always had a fondness for plain old, bog standard, no frills, rifles so I'd say a BAR 10 or Snow Wolf would be right up my alley but I'm open to suggestions as I am a complete noob after all.

Also, can anyone recommend if I should purchase in person in store or just order online? - given the nature of the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    Also very interested in taking up the sport...

I've always had a fondness for plain old, bog standard, no frills, rifles so I'd say a BAR 10 or Snow Wolf would be right up my alley but I'm open to suggestions as I am a complete noob after all.

Also, can anyone recommend if I should purchase in person in store or just order online? - given the nature of the item.

If your only interested in backyard shooting (plinking) id go with a bolt action alright. If you are looking to play go with an AEG, alot more fun, using a bolty in a skirmish is a totally different ball game, so unless you are prepared to get Ghillied up and get a couple of extra mags, scope (optional) if go with the AEG, then progress to the "sniper" roll.

Just my two cents now, but I know people that would agree with me based on experience.

I would very much be interested in the whole thing...

Collecting, maintenance, war games (done plenty of paintballing in my teen years), plinking, health & safety.... the lot really.

But as a noob I wouldn't know much about the do's & don'ts of it, apart from common sense like don't store it away with the spring under tension, don't look down the barrel even when unloaded, always keep under lock & key etc.

Is there any special conciderations I could take to avoid damage or premature wear?

Also very interested in taking up the sport...[...]

Starting out, I would take a look at what the stores have to offer first.
    As an example, the M4 now comes in so many guises it would make your head spin. But nothing beats holding the item in your own hands and getting a feel for it. Plus, after taking a good look at them and deciding your budget, you can come back here for advise on your short list / prices / retailers.
    I would very much be interested in the whole thing...

Collecting, maintenance, war games (done plenty of paintballing in my teen years), plinking, health & safety.... the lot really.

Most good sites will go through an introductory safety talk with new players, basically how to play safe and how to play fair.
    Collecting is up to you, depends how deep your pockets are.
    But as a noob I wouldn't know much about the do's & don'ts of it, apart from common sense like don't store it away with the spring under tension, don't look down the barrel even when unloaded, always keep under lock & key etc.

A couple of the main do's and don'ts..
    Airsoft is a sport that some people would just love to cast into a bad light, so in order to try not antagonise anyone there are a couple of basic points.
    Never have, hold, carry, transport or play with your Airsoft RIFs (Realistic Imitation Firearms) in any way that a member of the general public can see it and mistakenly get the impression that you are messing around with a real gun. (including seeing you through the window of your house).
    If someone was to call the Garda, they do not know what you have, and will send out the big guns (pun intended :D ) to check you out.
    Always transport your RIFs unloaded, chamber cleared, batteries out, un-gassed and in carry cases or boxes.
    There are no special conditions attached as to how you store them in your home, needless to say, keep them out of the reach of young children and best practise keep them as you would if you were transporting them.
    Is there any special conciderations I could take to avoid damage or premature wear?

Don't use cheap n' nasty BBs.
    Buy from the main Airsoft shops or sites, some BBs are a better than others, but usually the site or retailer ones are fine.
    Don't use BBs that you have dropped or that get wet. They pick up dirt particles that can screw up your gun.

Enjoy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭LeeHarvey

Get a JG, CYMA, or DBoys AEG that comes with a high cap magazine they are decent starter budget guns that won't break the bank, and some are quite good quality for their price. I'd say don't worry about camouflage gear , load bearing equipment or combat boots yet, just wear what's comfortable and you don't mind getting tatty, wear gloves and eye protection. No point spending money on stuff before you know what you want by seeing gear in action with guys that are using it. Saves you money and gives you first hand knowledge of what to get.

• Advertisement

LeeHarvey wrote: »
    . I'd say don't worry about camouflage gear , load bearing equipment or combat boots ,wear gloves and eye protection. No point spending money on stuff before you know what you want by seeing gear in action with guys that are using it. Saves you money and gives you first hand knowledge of what to get.

Boots, combat or hiking type is one of the most important thing you need even when starting out along with eye pro .

A broken ankle or leg can be a costly hassle nobody needs and been 99% of our sites are played on various rough terrain anything less than a ankle boot is a painful accident waiting to happen .

Runners ,canvas shoes or welly boots are not suitable or recommended for airsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭LeeHarvey

Ok, point taken, so the guy shells out for gear he knows little about - otherwise he wouldn't have posted his original point. Then wants to sell it because he bought it out of inexperience?
    Get the basic minimum needed, ask the people playing on site what they are using and why, and see what best suits - then go and spend the cash, because now the guy has an educated opinion.
    I started out indoors with a CA G36K, a multicam shirt, gloves and face protection with jeans and runners, worked fine in my case.
    Not all sites are outdoors so I gave my opinion based on my own experience.
    I'm trying to save the guy money because let's face it - a lot of this stuff isn't cheap!

Great advice guys, thanks :)

Another question.... I've been told I should wash my bbs before use!! is this true or just overkill?

Another question.... I've been told I should wash my bbs before use!! is this true or just overkill?

Haven't heard that one in a long time .

I wouldn't wash them before hand most decent bbs tend to be decently polished to a certain degree .
    You would be better off cleaning your barrel first and foremost when you make your first purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

Definitely no need to wash the bb's. Just use decent ones like the king arms, g&g, asg, excel etc

OK so no need to wash, just buy high quality, I can do that.

Does anyone use anything other than plastic? I've noticed we can get brass, aluminium, silica & ceramic bbs too!!

OK so no need to wash, just buy high quality, I can do that.

Does anyone use anything other than plastic? I've noticed we can get brass, aluminium, silica & ceramic bbs too!!

Plastic Only on Sites! And if you value your AEG only ever use plastic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭shytan

I would like to avoid the need for gearboxes, batteries, gas etc. Basically the less moving parts the better.

Also, as far as guns go, I'm really only interested in rifles and taking carful pot shots at targets as apposed to spray & pray with an AEG.

Your comments are not welcome here and demean the sport.

On second thought, your right... not the place for such discussions, post removed.

Advertisement