Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment of wages in vouchers Deli

Options
  • 14-06-2015 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend worked a trial day at the new mod edit Deli a few weeks ago.

She was told she would be contacted in two weeks if she got the job as they are trialing a few girls.

She heard nothing back in the two weeks and called in today to be told they are not sure if they will need her.

They also told her she will be paid for the day she worked in vouchers as she is not on the payroll.

Is this normal practice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Simple answer: hell no, but I'm not sure whether there is anything she could do without being able to prove that she was there working that day.

Smells to me of having cash flow problems&trying to force future custom from uncontracted workers. Objectively, it's a very smart marketing ploy as your girlfriend will probably end up giving/selling some of those vouchers to friends; some of whom may become steady customers.

*Should say: I'm not qualified in workplace regulations, but I would strongly imagine it to be against the law to substitute someone's wage for vouchers when an agreed wage has been set.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Your girlfriend should make contact with NERA (National Employment Rights Association). http://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/Workplace_Relations_Bodies/National_Employment_Rights_Authority/

I don't think its acceptable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't think this is a regional forum issue so moving to Work and Jobs who are more informed for this type of issue. Removing details of the employer first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Happened to me a few years back. Made a complaint to the relevant authority.. Can't remember who ..probably NERA. Anyway I was told unless I signed something saying I'd agreed to work a day for free,then I legally had to be paid. Once the place got the forms in the post they rang me to arrange payment after they had told me to get lost previously

Advertisement