Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra tooth removal/Nervous patient.

Options
  • 14-06-2015 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭

I have an extra tooth on my upper right row, right at the very back.
    If I trace my gumline from the front, right to the back, it goes up quite high where the extra tooth is.

This tooth means I couldn't get my finger right around it (which I can on the other side no problem), and it also means it digs into my cheek too and can cause me pain as I grind my teeth.

I do wear a gumshield for that, but it still hurts because of this tooth.
    I was considering having it removed. It's just an extra tooth so I don't need it, but I am incredibly nervous because it is in such an awkward position.

I know the dentist would have a job trying to remove it and I told you before in this forum that I needed four extra novacaine jabs just for getting my teeth cleaned as they were so sensitive and I was so nervous.

Is general anaesthesia something I could consider? I know it would have to be done in hospital, but would this be something that could be done?
    I have a medical card too.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

A ga for such a job is not necessary. If you are very nervous Iv sedation is a very comfortable and effective way of having this done.

You will have to wait to have this done in the medical card... Privately, you most likely won't get this done on the medical card...

Good luck,
    Os
    fussyonion wrote: »
    I have an extra tooth on my upper right row, right at the very back.
    If I trace my gumline from the front, right to the back, it goes up quite high where the extra tooth is.

This tooth means I couldn't get my finger right around it (which I can on the other side no problem), and it also means it digs into my cheek too and can cause me pain as I grind my teeth.

I do wear a gumshield for that, but it still hurts because of this tooth.
    I was considering having it removed. It's just an extra tooth so I don't need it, but I am incredibly nervous because it is in such an awkward position.

I know the dentist would have a job trying to remove it and I told you before in this forum that I needed four extra novacaine jabs just for getting my teeth cleaned as they were so sensitive and I was so nervous.

Is general anaesthesia something I could consider? I know it would have to be done in hospital, but would this be something that could be done?
    I have a medical card too.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Fussyonion, I used to be a terrified patient and found intravenous conscious sedation to be absolutely brilliant. I had a lot of treatment using it and I wouldn't even lose a wink of sleep the night before! I'm improving re. the nervousness and have also had nitrous oxide gas as a form of sedation. This too is a great help so you might check that out too. These days a valium or a xanax helps me!

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

sudzs wrote: »
    Fussyonion, I used to be a terrified patient and found intravenous conscious sedation to be absolutely brilliant. I had a lot of treatment using it and I wouldn't even lose a wink of sleep the night before! I'm improving re. the nervousness and have also had nitrous oxide gas as a form of sedation. This too is a great help so you might check that out too. These days a valium or a xanax helps me!

Good luck! :)

Thanks very much. I'll definitely keep this in mind when I get to the dentist ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I was in sort of the same position too until recently. Had a 9th tooth in my upper right jaw, an extra tooth after the wisdom tooth. Did stick into my cheek but never gave me any real problems.

I broke a chunk out of the wisdom tooth last week and while away and went to the dentist yesterday. Long story short I had to get the wisdom tooth and the extra 9th tooth extracted and also the 7th tooth on the same side had to be drilled and filled! I also got the teeth cleaned.

This was my first time ever having teeth removed and I can honestly say that any discomfort I had during the whole visit was some slight soreness when getting my teeth cleaned an polished. I didnt feel anything getting the teeth pulled.

Now it was/is painful afterwards but that is to be expected.

Hope thats of some help.

Advertisement