Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 day trip in Ireland with a car

Options
  • 14-06-2015 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions on things to see/do over the course of 4 days, starting and ending in Dublin.

I have been living in Dublin for the past 2 years but never really got to visit the beautiful areas outside of it, with the exception of:
    - Galway (amazing city :) )
    - Cliffs of Moher
    - Bray/Greystones (walking trip along DART line)
    - Howth
    - Glendalough (loved it!)

I'm planning a 4 day trip, starting next Saturday and ending on Tuesday evening. I might start on Friday evening, although it would have to be a short drive from Dublin as I'm not a fan of driving at night.

I'd like to explore the hills, mountains, forests etc., I'm less interested in partying or exploring the cities (this trip is mainly to get away from Dublin :) ).

4 days isn't a whole lot of time, which is why I'd like your suggestions on what's really worth seeing and how to minimise the commute and maximise the enjoyment! Areas I've been considering are (each line marks a separate trip).

- Ring of Kerry for 4 days
    - Cork and the surrounding areas - Blarney Castle/stone, Killarney.
    - Dingle Peninsula, Killarney, Carrauntoohil, Valentia Island
    - Connemara and surrounding areas
    - The Burren, aillwee cave

What do you guys think? I'm more interested in resting and exploring at my own pace rather than trying to see as much as I can.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Simon_K wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions on things to see/do over the course of 4 days, starting and ending in Dublin.

I have been living in Dublin for the past 2 years but never really got to visit the beautiful areas outside of it, with the exception of:
    - Galway (amazing city :) )
    - Cliffs of Moher
    - Bray/Greystones (walking trip along DART line)
    - Howth
    - Glendalough (loved it!)

I'm planning a 4 day trip, starting next Saturday and ending on Tuesday evening. I might start on Friday evening, although it would have to be a short drive from Dublin as I'm not a fan of driving at night.

I'd like to explore the hills, mountains, forests etc., I'm less interested in partying or exploring the cities (this trip is mainly to get away from Dublin :) ).

4 days isn't a whole lot of time, which is why I'd like your suggestions on what's really worth seeing and how to minimise the commute and maximise the enjoyment! Areas I've been considering are (each line marks a separate trip).

- Ring of Kerry for 4 days
    - Cork and the surrounding areas - Blarney Castle/stone, Killarney.
    - Dingle Peninsula, Killarney, Carrauntoohil, Valentia Island
    - Connemara and surrounding areas
    - The Burren, aillwee cave

What do you guys think? I'm more interested in resting and exploring at my own pace rather than trying to see as much as I can.

This last paragraph + 4 days = don't go near the ring...its to nice to rush, 5hr drive to get there = 1 day gone already.

Burren is nice to drive through, meh, theirs a nice bird place right beside that cave, eagles and that. That's pretty cool.

Cork or Connemara I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dublinhurler

I love the ring of Kerry and all around cork and Kerry. 4 days is not enough for the ring of Kerry but its a start. If it was me. I would leave Friday evening and drive to Cork and closer to the ring of Kerry. If you get tired book in somewhere but if not go all the way to Kerry and book in somewhere around cork.

Saturday get up early and just start heading of around the ring of Kerry going as slow as you wish just taking it all in. Just spend your days all around the ring of Kerry don't rush it take it slow. Park the car walk around the beautiful landscape even look into hiring a bicycle.

Just take your ti8me you can always come back and enjoy the magic of the ring of Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭Patser

My recommendation

2 nights Dingle
    2 nights Doolin

Dublin to Dingle is a longish drive, so that's the best part of a day done, so relax in Dingle afterwards.

Next day take a leisurely drive around Slea Head (end of Dingle peninsula). Lots of great views, historic spots and little beaches. Far less touristy than Ring of Kerry and tour buses have trouble getting around there, so less traffic. Back to Dingle for another night.

Day 3 - up to County Clare, take the Tarbert ferry to save time, then on up to Doolin near the Cliffs. You can stop off at Cliffs, beaches at Lahinch, Spanish Point or down to Loop Head lighthouse if you want to get away from crowds. Doolin is not so much a village as an idea of one, 2 pubs at a crossroad (1 doing great food, the other music) and a few shops near the pier for souvenirs.

Day 4 - not sure if you have 4 days only or 4 nights away and 1 to get back to Dublin. If you've that extra night, stay in Doolin and get ferry to Aran Islands (Inis Mor best). If not take nice drive through Burren back to Galway on off to Dublin.

Edit- Actually rereading your op and getting better timeline, reverse what I said, leave Friday and go to Galway. Easy drive and you can get to Doolin early next morning for ferry. Then head south.

If you want a suggestion outside what you've listed - Northern Ireland coast near the Causeway (Dunluce castle, carrig a rede ropebridge, white park beach, Bushmills distillery and Giants Causeway all within 10km of each other) . Ballintoy a great village to base yourself. Derry also well worth a visit and a night's stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Sligo is a two and a half hour drive from Dublin. Within 5 miles of the town you have lakes, rivers, the sea (with great surf) mountains, waterfalls, forests the list really does go on!

The Mayo coast is similar. http://www.clewbaybikehire.ie/tours might be something that would interest you. Great way to see the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Simon_K

Very interesting suggestions and yes! I was afraid that driving might take a big chunk of my time. Seeing how it will be my first time driving outside Dublin, what would you guys recommend as the easiest trip? I was set on going to Cork + Killarney, but it might be too far.. unless I stay the first night in Cork ? What do you think?

As for Sligo/Mayo area, I've been to Sligo and Mullaghmore last year with my diving buddies, and it was amazing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭Patser

Cork, Limerick and Galway are more or less connected to Dublin by motorways, right up to the cities and can easily be reached, relatively stress free in 2 half hours (ish). Killarney is a bit more of a trek from Limerick, so not really doable if you're leaving Dublin late on Friday. But getting as far as the 3 named above on friday will give you much more options for 'doing' something the next day, as opposed to just travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Croagh patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

could do the northern coastline as far as Derry too perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The Copper Coast in Waterford is beautiful and not as busy as other areas, you also have Lismore Castle which is stunning. It's a handy drive from Dublin.

http://www.lismorecastle.com/brief-history

http://www.coppercoastgeopark.com/

Then you could travel into Cork City or head to Kinsale or anywhere in West Cork. I wouldn't try and fit too much in though, the charm of the place is just chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Simon_K

OK I think I got it sorted- shout if its a bad idea :D

I leave Dublin on saturday morning (9am sharp) and head to Killkenny where I stay for the day and one night.
    2nd Day - I head out to Waterford and possibly stay in the area for the night? Not sure.
    3rd and 4th Day - I head out to Cork, and stay there for that and following day, making two one day trips to surrounding areas while staying in some nice BnB near Cork.

• Advertisement
Advertisement