Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taxi soiling charge

Options
  • 13-06-2015 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Have been reading previous posts on this topic following an incident in an 8-passenger taxi which I shared last night in Dublin area. We were a group of mature ladies on our way home from a friend's birthday party when unfortunately one of the passengers sitting at the back of the taxi took ill. The driver did stop (twice) and two nurses among us looked after the patient and the mess on the floor. As we dropped her home, the driver told us of the €140 soiling charge but he implied that he may waive it as we were his last fare for the night.

Two points - 1. the soiling charge in London is "up to £40" (approx. €60) and 2. why do all taxis not carry a supply of sick bags as on airplanes?? This could save much embarrassment and much hassle. Our driver had some paper kitchen roll and we had a paper bag which was put to some use but proper bags would be ideal.

Some time ago I took ill on a morning flight from London to Dublin and, apologising to the passenger beside me, all I could do was use the bag provided - which I had to dispose of myself when we landed. Fortunately I was met at the airport by my husband and got home before the worse effects of the gastric dose hit me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

If that's the charge then that's the charge. Valleting is expensive enough if the driver decides to go down that route. Plus the time he will be off the road. Taxis tend to be cheaper in London .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

famwhite wrote: »
    why do all taxis not carry a supply of sick bags as on airplanes??

Why do people think it's acceptable to vomit in a taxi from excessive drinking? Getting air-sick is not self inflicted, and somewhat commonplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 famwhite

Why do people think it's acceptable to vomit in a taxi from excessive drinking? Getting air-sick is not self inflicted, and somewhat commonplace.

The cause may or may not have been drink-related and getting air-sick could easily be "self-inflicted. Any form of transport can cause motion-sickness so why not carry bags, just in case?

The cost involved to the driver - in loss of earnings and valetting - is fully appreciated. I wasn't disputing the charge, just pointing out that it's less than half that in London.

Thankfully I'm not a regular taxi user either here or in the UK but I might think to take a bag with me next time... just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

London is in another country, they also have purpose built taxis - I'd imagine you can easily take out the flooring etc and hose it down after your friends puke on it. It's probably a less time consuming and easier job to clean the sick out and get back on the road.

Puke bags in taxis. Do you have puke bags in your car if giving anyone a lift?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The cause may or may not have been drink-related and getting air-sick could easily be "self-inflicted. Any form of transport can cause motion-sickness so why not carry bags, just in case?

The cost involved to the driver - in loss of earnings and valetting - is fully appreciated. I wasn't disputing the charge, just pointing out that it's less than half that in London.

Thankfully I'm not a regular taxi user either here or in the UK but I might think to take a bag with me next time... just in case.

Why not keep a supply in your bag if you are prone to getting sick

I get my car valeted regularly it costs 100 Euro I can see why it's 140 for someone who's puked all over the seats and floor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Prices are set by the NTA.

Fares aren't hugely different but it's the other things they get you on here. For example 5 people get into a taxi in London at 10pm on a Sunday night and the charge is £2.40. Here it'll be €9.

I always thought taxis here got very expensive in the years after deregulation, maybe in an attempt to shore up taxi drivers' earnings to compensate for the loss of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

n97 mini wrote: »
    Prices are set by the NTA.

Fares aren't hugely different but it's the other things they get you on here. For example 5 people get into a taxi in London at 10pm on a Sunday night and the charge is £2.40. Here it'll be €9.

I always thought taxis here got very expensive in the years after deregulation, maybe in an attempt to shore up taxi drivers' earnings to compensate for the loss of business.

Fares in London are significantly higher than here. London's hailing fee is £2.40 at all times; ours is €3.60/€4 which is a little cheaper and as you say, there is no additional passengers fee. Their distance rates are steeper and by a considerable margin.

At 10PM in London you will charged about £2.40 per kilometre in a cab; this come in at about €3.30. In Ireland the peak time rate is €1.40 per kilometre. Even their daytime rate is dearer than our peak rate; about £1.60 per KM (€2.20) over our €1.10 per KM.

In saying all this they have a higher cost base and a radically different city and public transport market and different regulatory systems running a cab than those of Ireland so it's very hard to do a like for like on a simple basis.

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares/tariffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

I have made the mistake from being sick before in a taxi but i t was fair that I had to pay the excessive charge as the driver would lose money from being off the road and the time and cost made to clean the taxi.

Plus the large cost of the soiling charge would deter me from making that mistake again.

Fair point though if a taxi journey home is needed when feeling sick 22 cents for a plastic bag in a shop would be cheaper than a large soiling charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Fares in London are significantly higher than here.

I didn't mean the distance rates, I meant overall. Although I should qualify that, as most of my travelling by taxi is done as part of a group, usually of 3, especially in London. i.e. £10 will take a group as far as €15 will, pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 famwhite

Rackstar wrote: »
    London is in another country, they also have purpose built taxis - I'd imagine you can easily take out the flooring etc and hose it down after your friends puke on it. It's probably a less time consuming and easier job to clean the sick out and get back on the road.

Puke bags in taxis. Do you have puke bags in your car if giving anyone a lift?

Yes, I have carried bags in my car and also had a small potty onboard for many years while, and even after, our children were small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Yes, I have carried bags in my car and also had a small potty onboard for many years while, and even after, our children were small.

It's unfortunate that your friend took ill and I hope she made a recovery. The taxi driver sounded considerate - some would throw passengers out regardless of the circumstances. Even if you were the last passengers I think you and your friends should chip in and pay the taxi the soiling fare. It would cost you approximately £13 each. I think a €140 soiling charge is reasonable given the costs of valeting a car here. If the car is not cleaned properly after soiling it makes things very unpleasant for the taxi and for any subsequent passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I am not sure you will get many in here disagreeing with the soiling charge OP. Charge seems fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... ladies ... took ill ... patient ... and the mess on the floor

This thread is one of the best laughs I've had in a while.

If someone "takes ill" and becomes a "patient", then an ambulance is called, and I would be very surprised if the taxi driver said a word.

On the other hand if someone drinks too much and pukes their guts, then their friends deal with the mess and the taxi-driver charges for soiling, at the rate set by the Regulator. I would think, though, that this is not something that real ladies would experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If someone "takes ill" and becomes a "patient", then an ambulance is called, and I would be very surprised if the taxi driver said a word.

On the other hand if someone drinks too much and pukes their guts, then their friends deal with the mess and the taxi-driver charges for soiling, at the rate set by the Regulator. I would think, though, that this is not something that real ladies would experience.
    It's worth noting that the fares and extra charges (including the soiling charge) set by the regulator are the maximum that can be legally charged. The taxi is free to waive or reduce any charge if he so wishes. Having said that I don't think €140 is unreasonable.

https://www.transportforireland.ie/fares/taxi/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Thankfully there were two nurses on board!

Advertisement