Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non fighting game love thread.

• 13-06-2015 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

I think a thread talking about games outside of the fighting game genre* is long overdue.

Anyway what I love about FGs is the arcade sensibilities and gameplay first focus.
    This extends to the other genres I like and the companies past and present who make them.

I clocked DmC definitive edition the other day and got to day the hate for this game is overblown.

Sure Donte can be a tad annoying and there is one of the creepiest skin shaders ever seen in videogames present (sometimes intentional, sometimes not) but there is an enjoyable core game here.

At least in its defence it's not the worst Capcom outsource job of the generation. (Lost planet, Bionic commando...)

The gameplay itself is actually pretty tight. I think the scenario design and the camera let it down more so. There's never a moment where you feel, "Ahh I've learned all these skills and now to apply them in one ultimate fight"

The art design is at times fantastic, and other times mediocre. Quite inconsistent.

Lilith's Nightclub being the most visually striking.

dmc-devilmaycry2013-0nfef9.png

I think that knocks out of the park anything in DMC 4 (that's the one where the second half of the game is just the first half backwards...)

Of course I haven't played the original version, which was at 30 FPS (if that) which is tragic for this kind of game.

Out soon is DMC 4: Special Edition.

Virgil, Lady and Trish have been added to the game.

And so have some rather funky Pallet swaps.
    7.jpg

Digital only in Europe I think, which is a shame, DmC was available at retail.

And there's high hopes of a DMC 5 announcement at E3 this week, but who knows.

Here is the character trailer:

https://youtu.be/MF2Ppes-ZPM

*please note we esports now and smash is technically an fg thanks to that Nintendo pahpuh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I think a thread talking about games outside of the fighting game genre* is long overdue

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Ha, I get your point Ramza,

But I dont care for strangers opinions, I'm only interested in the community's.
    Plus don't you think this genre has a lot in common with FGs?

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

I enjoyed DmC on PC when I played it a year or two back, but that's coming from someone who had only a few hours experience with Devil May Cry 4 and had never played the the first 3. Its not a genre I normally play. But I enjoyed it and don't see why it gets the hate it does.

Was the original Lost Planet really that bad?, I have it but only played it for a few minutes. I heard the game play is quite good as are the graphics, just the story is gibberish.

What ever about Bionic Commando, Bionic Commando Rearmed was sick.

In my opinion Capcom are one of the most unfairly maligned developers/publishers out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

Azza wrote: »
    In my opinion Capcom are one of the most unfairly maligned developers/publishers out there.

I think a lot of that comes from Capcom's DLC controversies from a few years ago, as well their questionable investment into mobile gaming.

In 2012 there was on the whole on-disk DLC fiasco with Strekken, as well them segmenting the last four chapters in Asura Wrath's Story Mode as DLC as well.

That same year they released RE 6 and Operation Raccon City; considerably two of the worst entries in the Resident Evil franchise. And then in 2013 they made a grave error making a very large investment in mobile gaming that put a huge dent in their finances; had Sony not stepped in there might have been no CPT or SFV for a good while.

Capcom have restored some integrity to their name in recent years with their HD releases, and some other good games like Strider and the Resident Evil Revelations games, but they are still a ways off from re-achieving their glory days in the 90s and early 2000s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I have played many 100's of hours of Bayonetta (1 and 2), Metal Gear Rising, DMC (only a little of the newest) but there is only one true game to rule them all in the genre...
    Ninja Gaiden II
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTh-dos1ycxRlKxpDzhZC5SNf_ArMnPQn2adj9T45cImzBwXKu-

The game has my favourite fighting engine for a single player game and possibly the best video game character ever, the below video is a small example of the games greatness (mute sound for your own good)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

PFFT. PFFT I say, Blag.

Clearly you have never encountered the PURE AWESOME that is the Last Ninja series.

Turn the sound UP for this bad boy

(In all seriousness, how the hell did the SID chip manage the song at 1:00? Follin et al amaze me with their ingenuity)

PFFT. PFFT I say, Blag.

Clearly you have never encountered the PURE AWESOME that is the Last Ninja series.

Turn the sound UP for this bad boy

Top tier music, bottom tier ninja, he just legs it past everyone like a middle aged woman out for a jog :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Lads, Revenge of Shinobi.

Lads, Revenge of Shinobi.

Solid game. I remember playing it feckin years ago on the megadrive as a kid and fighting a spiderman/batman type dude. Serious wtf moments. Also there was one boss who turned green the more you hit him. Sounds very familiar :pac: Don't know how Marvel/DC let them get away with that?

Edit : Some videos of said nonsense

@Blag, I've wasted many hours on the ninja gaiden series, awesome games and very well done. Haven't played one in forever though.

The Onimusha series would have to be my favorite of that genre though, Capcom deliver with the Onimusha series. 3 was my favorite, 1 and 2 are solid, 4 was a let down imo, No clue if they're still making 'em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ramza wrote: »
    Solid game. I remember playing it feckin years ago and fighting a spiderman/batman type dude. Also there was one boss who turned green the more you hit him. Sounds very familiar :pac: Don't know how Marvel/DC let them get away with that?

They didn't.

The arcade version, literally had Spider-Man in it and Marvel threatened a lawsuit, so the character design was changed for the home release.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ramza, they actually didn't let them get away with it. Later releases of the Revenge of Shinobi cart had patched the bosses so they were a little less recognisable.

also, Shinobi 3 on Megadrive. They gave Joe a dive kick!

Ramza, they actually didn't let them get away with it. Later releases of the Revenge of Shinobi cart had patched the bosses so they were a little less recognisable.

also, Shinobi 3 on Megadrive. They gave Joe a dive kick!

Makes sense, the cart I had was one of those 6-in-1 megadrive carts and that version of the game definitely had those bosses, I remember fighting them as a kid and being a little confused :P

Revenge of Shinobi also had the sick Godzilla boss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Blag I thought you were cool. :pac: I found NG2 a massive letdown.

The core of the engine is good to be sure, probably a bit better than the 1st since the dash wasn't anywhere near as safe as the roll and the dismemberment actually worked quite well with the danger of a given enemy fluctuating a lot during a fight - but I found the level & enemy design/camera angles/etc a complete mess throughout.

Never even bought 3.

Also this is now a ninja thread.

Blag I thought you were cool. :pac: I found NG2 a massive letdown.

The core of the engine is good to be sure, probably a bit better than the 1st since the dash wasn't anywhere near as safe as the roll and the dismemberment actually worked quite well with the danger of a given enemy fluctuating a lot during a fight - but I found the level & enemy design/camera angles/etc a complete mess throughout.

Never even bought 3.

Also this is now a ninja thread.

I appreciate everyone didn't like it but there are some outstanding chapters (11 in particular) that are ridiculously fun to spend an hour or so running through with the obscene weapons.

NG3 was crap, NG3: Razors Edge was a massive improvement but still lacked the finesse of the others.

On a related note, Shinobi on 3DS is also a fantastic ninja game with a well implemented parry mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I can't get by the first boss in NG2 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,749 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm in the credits for NG2 :)

I found the level & enemy design/camera angles/etc a complete mess throughout.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm in the credits for NG2 :)

Hmmmm......

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Simon_L

On the topic of ninja games, as a kid I used to spend many hours on Ganbare Goemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

God...
    ...ninja gaiden...
    And ppl thought Tekken's juggles were too long! :rolleyes:

The intro for that 'Last Ninja 3' game was great to watch!
    Beast music too.

'Revenge of Shinobi' all the way for me.
    Never could complete it as a kid. Got to the final level once!
    Think I'll put that on my tombstone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

I love this game, the mixture of digitized graphics (my favourite) and ninja action hits all the right spots!!

*Gameplay starts after 3 mins...*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Love that the ninja topic is still going strong.

On the Shinobi front I concur that the 3DS Shinobi is great and sorely underappreciated. Have to go back and finish it sometime, last thing I remember was fighting a helicopter in a burning jungle or something - can't recall if I got past it or not. Definitely another victim of my odd saving-good-games-for-later habit.

Always preferred Shinobi 3 to Revenge, just had a smoother much more responsive feel to it, both had some great music though - Revenge boss theme was always a favourite.

Anyone play the original NG series? I could draw a diagram right now of that one jump with the overhang and the bird!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

@Hygro
    Man that 'Shin Shinobi Den' looks hella fun!! :cool:
    I'm definitely gonna play that soon.

The intro is hilarious too! Puts b-movie's to shame! :pac:
    And that look just before the level starts.... too awesome! haha!

Advertisement