Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

830 or 930

• 13-06-2015 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Hi,

After a series of Android and Ios I am considering a Windows Phone.

930 is coming in at €270 from Amazon.de (VAT registered so less VAT) and the 830 for a little less.

Which is the better phone to keep for the next two years?

Not a big user of Apps and Windows has the Apps i need.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated

RG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Hi,

After a series of Android and Ios I am considering a Windows Phone.

930 is coming in at €270 from Amazon.de (VAT registered so less VAT) and the 830 for a little less.

Which is the better phone to keep for the next two years?

The 930 has a higher resolution screen, better camera, better CPU, more RAM. The 830 has a slight edge in battery life, is slightly lighter, possibly better LTE coverage internationally, but I think that might just be an error in the specs listed here:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6638&idPhone2=6227

The other major difference is IPS LCD on the 830 versus AMOLED on the 930. I've had Lumias with both, and I'm not sure that I'd be swayed one way or the other on that feature. The 930 has an Snapdragon 800, which should support the "Hey Cortana" feature, but who knows if that'll ever be relevant in the Irish market.

I'll also suggest that you might want to look at the 640. It's quite a bit cheaper, and given that there might be some nice hardware when Windows 10 hits the streets towards the end of the year, you might want to spend half your budget for 12 months, rather than the whole lot for 2 years :).

The one thing that I don't like about the 640 is the lack of a hardware camera button, but other than that, it's a nice piece of kit for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Still using both from time to time and i find the 830 better somehow but not for the camera obviously,as said above the Lumia 640 for the price is quite good and if you want a big screen and better camera the 640 XL ,also priced well....

Considered the 830 and 930 are old-ish now but they have a great build,the 830 offering the sd card expansion wins for me.The 640/XL are more present and value for money...
    The 640 is a great size but the 640 XL is huge,like the 1320 so might be cumbersome for you depending on hand size..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Bayberry wrote: »
    The 930 has a higher resolution screen, better camera, better CPU, more RAM. The 830 has a slight edge in battery life, is slightly lighter, possibly better LTE coverage internationally, but I think that might just be an error in the specs listed here:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6638&idPhone2=6227

The other major difference is IPS LCD on the 830 versus AMOLED on the 930. I've had Lumias with both, and I'm not sure that I'd be swayed one way or the other on that feature. The 930 has an Snapdragon 800, which should support the "Hey Cortana" feature, but who knows if that'll ever be relevant in the Irish market.

I'll also suggest that you might want to look at the 640. It's quite a bit cheaper, and given that there might be some nice hardware when Windows 10 hits the streets towards the end of the year, you might want to spend half your budget for 12 months, rather than the whole lot for 2 years :).

The one thing that I don't like about the 640 is the lack of a hardware camera button, but other than that, it's a nice piece of kit for the price.

Thanks BB, I am leaning towards the 930, as its newer, however it is relatively heavy - any thoughts

Thanks BB, I am leaning towards the 930, as its newer, however it is relatively heavy - any thoughts
    I don't have a 930, only a 925, which is light in absolute terms, but somehow feels heavy, possible because of the rounded edges. So I can't tell you anything about the 930 in day to day use - maybe JimmyNokia can help there.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Considered the 830 and 930 are old-ish now but they have a great build,the 830 offering the sd card expansion wins for me.The 640/XL are more present and value for money...
    I forgot about that - I don't listen to music on my phone, and I try to get the photos off ever couple of months anyway, otherwise I end up with so many that I can never find anything (though the new Cortana photo-recognition feature with Overdrive is neat!), so 16GB tends to be as much as I need on my phone.

But even with that, I would always tend to go for a phone with SD card support (if for no other reason than it's removable - I know people who lost all their photos when their iPhone crashed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I was in same position a few weeks ago.. went with he 830 in the end at 225 or so ex vat on Amazon.de - so far been happy - SD card edged it for me.

Performance has been fine, but I reckon a slight bit more grunt would make it perfect. I was tempted to wait and see what Win 10 handsets would be about (especially for a 1020 replacement) but if you hang around for tech then you wouldnt buy anything (maybe a god thing!). Besides, even if you did wait, the phones would be double the price at launch etc..

Hi All,

Went for 930 in the end.

It is quite heavy compared to the S4 but thats not a bad thing.

liking the OS so far, although it takes a little getting used to, would like if I could get chrome.

Any thoughts on what Win 10 will bring bring and when ?

Thanks again.

RG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Have the 830. It gets slow, which is annoying when typing etc. go for the 930 if you can.

Hi All,

Went for 930 in the end.

It is quite heavy compared to the S4 but thats not a bad thing.

liking the OS so far, although it takes a little getting used to, would like if I could get chrome.

Any thoughts on what Win 10 will bring bring and when ?

Thanks again.

RG
    Win 10 is a bit of a disaster too date especially on the 930 works well on the 830, wait for full official release end of next month.

Win 10 is a bit of a disaster too date especially on the 930 works well on the 830, wait for full official release end of next month.

D'oh

• Advertisement

Windows 10 Mobile won't be released until October (ish). I still needs some more polishing than the desktop version of Windows 10 that will be released on July 29th.

One of the big hopes for Windows 10 Mobile is that the unified store for UNiversal apps that will run on both the desktop and phones/small tablets will help address the "app gap". But don't hold your breath waiting for Chrome - Google have actively undercut Windows phone before, and that's not likely to change anytime soon.

Windows 10 Mobile won't be released until October (ish). I still needs some more polishing than the desktop version of Windows 10 that will be released on July 29th.

One of the big hopes for Windows 10 Mobile is that the unified store for UNiversal apps that will run on both the desktop and phones/small tablets will help address the "app gap". But don't hold your breath waiting for Chrome - Google have actively undercut Windows phone before, and that's not likely to change anytime soon.
    Both are a disaster right now regardless.

Both are a disaster right now regardless.
    That's not my experience. The current preview build on the desktop (10130) has been with Insiders for almost 3 weeks, which means that it was with Microsofts own testers 6-8 weeks ago. There are some issues, but most of the issues that I've had were with "Spartan", and based on the rate of improvement between earlier builds, I'd expect 10147, which will have substantial updates, and a move from Spartan to Edge branding, to be pretty sound when it shows up this week or next. And while the Browser is pretty important, I could get by without Edge (there are alternative browsers out there!) but it would be a big embarrasment for MS.

The Mobile build has also been very stable on my 925 - my major problem with it has been the mail client. But it clearly needs a lot of cleaning up, from a performance point of view. Again, given the obvious improvements between this buld and the previous build, at this point I don't have any doubt that Win10 Mobile will be good to go in October (ish).

I wouldn't use either of them as daily drivers yet, but given the last minute delivery method for Win10, I don't see a three month window between the initial "pressing" of 10130 and the release date as a major source of concern.

That's not my experience. The current preview build on the desktop (10130) has been with Insiders for almost 3 weeks, which means that it was with Microsofts own testers 6-8 weeks ago. There are some issues, but most of the issues that I've had were with "Spartan", and based on the rate of improvement between earlier builds, I'd expect 10147, which will have substantial updates, and a move from Spartan to Edge branding, to be pretty sound when it shows up this week or next. And while the Browser is pretty important, I could get by without Edge (there are alternative browsers out there!) but it would be a big embarrasment for MS.

The Mobile build has also been very stable on my 925 - my major problem with it has been the mail client. But it clearly needs a lot of cleaning up, from a performance point of view. Again, given the obvious improvements between this buld and the previous build, at this point I don't have any doubt that Win10 Mobile will be good to go in October (ish).

I wouldn't use either of them as daily drivers yet, but given the last minute delivery method for Win10, I don't see a three month window between the initial "pressing" of 10130 and the release date as a major source of concern.

Let's say I'm ahead of public builds available. It's getting better but much improvement is needed. As you say daily drivers yes forget it. Unfortunately for me I have too. I'm hoping for good things quick..

So 930 arrived a couple of weeks ago

Positives
    • Camera
    • Hard camera button
    • Weight ( heavy but feels well built)
    • Speed ( very quick )

Negatives
    • No Chrome ( didnt realise how much my business relied on this )
    • Voicemail ( No visual indication so have to call 171 to check after each missed call )

I really like this phone but the negatives out weigh the positives so its going back to Amazon and I am going IOS or Android

Its a pity though.

RG

So 930 arrived a couple of weeks ago

Positives
    • Camera
    • Hard camera button
    • Weight ( heavy but feels well built)
    • Speed ( very quick )

Negatives
    • No Chrome ( didnt realise how much my business relied on this )
    • Voicemail ( No visual indication so have to call 171 to check after each missed call )

I really like this phone but the negatives out weigh the positives so its going back to Amazon and I am going IOS or Android

Its a pity though.

RG

There is a Chrome app and who actually uses voicemail these days..

There is a Chrome app and who actually uses voicemail these days..

The only apps I could find were 3rd party that didnt do what it said on the tin and unfortunately I do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

[*]Voicemail ( No visual indication so have to call 171 to check after each missed call )

What kind of visual indication where you looking for? when you miss a call, if your voicemail is setup correctly, you'll get a text message.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

theothernt wrote: »
    What kind of visual indication where you looking for? when you miss a call, if your voicemail is setup correctly, you'll get a text message.

Yeah, sounds like the voicemail number isn't set up correctly, I always get a notification on the screen.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, sounds like the voicemail number isn't set up correctly, I always get a notification on the screen.

Any idea how I do this, it worked fine on previous phones with no need to change settings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Any idea how I do this, it worked fine on previous phones with no need to change settings.

Not sure to be honest, google whichever provider you're with and voicemail settings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

CatInABox wrote: »
    Not sure to be honest, google whichever provider you're with and voicemail settings?

And if in doubt, call the network in question and ask about your voice mailbox settings - typically they are independent of the phone you're using.

It's definitely a setup issue - Windows Phone has built-in Voicemail notifications

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/calling-and-messaging/check-my-voicemail

It's definitely a setup issue - Windows Phone has built-in Voicemail notifications

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/calling-and-messaging/check-my-voicemail

Sent it back to Amazon.de and got a cheap Sony e for now.

No issues with voicemail notifications on the Sony.

Its a pity because I really liked the Lumia"s camera and speed

Sent it back to Amazon.de and got a cheap Sony e for now.

No issues with voicemail notifications on the Sony.

Its a pity because I really liked the Lumia"s camera and speed

Advertisement