Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topics likely to be on CCNA

Options
  • 13-06-2015 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Just thought I would start this thread for people studying the CCNA, this will be topics likely to come up in some shape or form and you must know;

One topic likely to come up directly or indirectly is TCP/UDP port numbers:

Port number, Protocol, Application
    20 TCP, FTP DATA
    21 TCP, FTP CONTROL
    22 TCP, SSH
    23 TCP, TELNET
    25 TCP, SMTP
    53 TCP/UDP, DNS
    67,68 UDP, DHCP
    69 UDP, TFTP
    80 TCP, HTTP
    110 TCP, POP3
    161 UDP, SNMP
    443 TCP, SSL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Seems like no body wants to contribute to this. I am a little ahead in my studies, I am on STP at the moment. But starting tomorrow I will go back over the first chapter and post some important inserts from the book that I think are important, will help me and will help others.

I am not looking for paragraphs from people, short stuff little one liners that may appear or you should know as a network admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

Not being smart, but people should know ALL the topics on the syllabus. It is not a good idea to highlight certain sections in my opinion. The focus should be on the knowledge not the cert. Others may disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

These are the topics you need to know for the CCNA. If you are not familiar with every single one of these topics, don't schedule your exam. Cisco exams do not mess around.

It's been a long time since I did my CCNA, but I very much doubt memorising common port numbers is going to be a major benefit, at least in comparison to the linked topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

druidhill wrote: »
    Not being smart, but people should know ALL the topics on the syllabus. It is not a good idea to highlight certain sections in my opinion. The focus should be on the knowledge not the cert. Others may disagree.
    These are the topics you need to know for the CCNA. If you are not familiar with every single one of these topics, don't schedule your exam. Cisco exams do not mess around.

It's been a long time since I did my CCNA, but I very much doubt memorising common port numbers is going to be a major benefit, at least in comparison to the linked topics.

I had planned on coming back to this topic and going over everything mentioned from both the link above and topics from the book. The port numbers was just the start of my grand idea(which even as a starting point is a bad idea), but from your two posts I won't waste my time covering the entire syllabus. As I am in the middle of studying at the moment for the test, I wanted to take it first before giving out advise. But there's been more negative than positive on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

The most difficult thing about the CCNA IMO, is that it covers a little of everything on the syllabus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement