Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative career

Options
  • 13-06-2015 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Has anyone got any advice on how to find an alternative career after training as an accountant? I've finished FAEs but still had a few months to run on training contract when I quit due to illness. Been out of work now for two years but looking to get back into the workforce. However I don't want to work as an accountant as I find it really boring. I would be particularly interested in getting work in some government department as a civil servant or maybe move into marketing. I have a first class honours degree from UCD and a masters. Would really appreciate some advice on this. Regards Cheese.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

cheese5969 wrote: »
    Has anyone got any advice on how to find an alternative career after training as an accountant? I've finished FAEs but still had a few months to run on training contract when I quit due to illness. Been out of work now for two years but looking to get back into the workforce. However I don't want to work as an accountant as I find it really boring. I would be particularly interested in getting work in some government department as a civil servant or maybe move into marketing. I have a first class honours degree from UCD and a masters. Would really appreciate some advice on this. Regards Cheese.

You've just missed an AO competition for Revenue, but there'll be another one late this year or early next year.

There's currently an EO competition for Revenue, which might be more suitable for someone of your level of experience:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/careers.html#section2

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cheese5969

Thanks for that, type of job I'm looking for. Do you think the institute would allow working in Revenue as relevant experience for finishing off my training contract. I'm just looking at the key achievement document you need to fill out, looks like they want a specific type of answer, any idea where I'd find tips for filling these out online specific to Irish Public Service?

Thanks for that, type of job I'm looking for. Do you think the institute would allow working in Revenue as relevant experience for finishing off my training contract. I'm just looking at the key achievement document you need to fill out, looks like they want a specific type of answer, any idea where I'd find tips for filling these out online specific to Irish Public Service?

Well I'd worry about getting a job first, it's hugely competitive, and then figure out how to gain your membership of the institute. Worst case scenario, if you want to retain a professional membership (and bear in mind maintaining membership may be of no benefit if you intend to stay in the service), you could transfer to ACCA; I've signed off as mentor for a colleague who finished their ACCA exams after joining the civil service.

These public service jobs are hard to get alright, its worth a go though. I'd love to have some idea of how to fill out the application the best way possible. Is your education weighted highly in the competition? I doubt there are to many students with Masters of Accounting applying but I might be incorrect in saying that.

Does anyone have any further career advice would really appreciate. I've been informed of how difficult it is to get into the civil service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Does anyone have any further career advice would really appreciate. I've been informed of how difficult it is to get into the civil service.

Well first I'd suggest you get in contact with the Institute and see what they can do about getting you the experience you need to get your ACA. Even if you never practice again it still carries a lot of weight in business.

Next if you find accounting boring, I don't see how joining the civil service is going to improve on it! It will still be a typical office style job and on top of that I struggle to see how it relates to your mentioning of marketing???

What are you passionate about, what do you get a kick out of doing???

For my part I qualified with a big and resigned within a few weeks of doing so because I realised it was not for me. I was however very interested in maths and IT, so after a summer spent climbing in the Swiss Alps, I began coding for a Swiss robotics company and I have spent the last 30 years doing that. And you know, I still get the same kick out of seem the machines come alive to my code today as I did back then! Most of the time I don't even consider it work, I just spend my days working on really interesting puzzles.

So my advice would be to figure out what really interests you and pursue that.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Next if you find accounting boring, I don't see how joining the civil service is going to improve on it!

I found accounting boring, had to get out of practice, now I work in Revenue and I love it... there's constant changes and new developments, a new Finance Act at least once a year... and plenty of opportunity for bright & capable people to progress (not saying it would suit every unhappy accountant, mind you!)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭chickenlicken2

You should meet some recruiters and see if they have anything suitable for you? Go through your skillset in more detail. There's a few that would deal with contract roles for semi state and the like. Or even look at contracting.
    Just noticed you haven't completed the full training contract. Definitely contact the Institute and see what the story is.

I've contacted the institute with regard to the training contract, I need the seven months experience in order to qualify. But I can't see myself doing this. Can I say I'm a qualified accountant as I have passed the FAE but not registered with institute because I don't have experience.

I agree with previous posters assertion that working in the revenue would not be as boring as working as an accountant in small practice or auditing. These two jobs are mind numbingly boring and don't suit my skill set.

I've contacted the institute with regard to the training contract, I need the seven months experience in order to qualify. But I can't see myself doing this. Can I say I'm a qualified accountant as I have passed the FAE but not registered with institute because I don't have experience.

You are not a qualified accountant until you are admitted as a member. And another thing telling people that you did not bother getting the final seven months experience necessary to qualify does not suggest great depth of character either. Every single job has tasks we'd prefer not to have to do, the fact that you did not stick at it, would suggest to a potential employer that you'd do the same with the going gets tough in a new job as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭gigglemuch82

You cannot call yourself qualified until you actually satisfy all training and exam requirements.

My current boss, who has been working as an accountant for about 10 years, is not qualified so she couldn't sign me off when I completed my training. Nobody in the company knew about this until 3 people in the office needed to be signed off and then she said 'Oh, I think I'm still an affiliate, there's something wrong with the system! Will you ask xxx - I think he's qualified.'

Having said that, if you find accounting boring, why don't you go for something more active like in the operations side? If you look at job websites or linkedin, there are lots of finance related operations positions that an accountant could do? You just need to accentuate your experience relevant to the job and I think lots of companies would appreciate your experience in their operations role.

Just a further comment:

I was in exactly your situation, once I had decide to exit I could have walked away before sitting the FAE, but lucky for me my partner/mentor (and life long friend ever since) pushed me hard to stay and complete the course. Because it shows potential employer's that I'm capable of taking on something challenging like that and delivering on it.

It is going to be very hard to explain to anyone how you put so much time and effort into this and then walked away with just such a small step needed to complete it. It just does not look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭chickenlicken2

For the sake of 7 months you will really count it in your favour to complete the qualification.

Find out from the Institute your options are for completing. Can you complete in industry say in a 6 month role with a suitable mentor sign off or does it need to be practice.

Advertisement