Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting knives.

Options
  • 13-06-2015 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hey lads ive a couple of opinel knives and one or two others that I want to post to a mate in the U.K., is it legal to do so?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

It seems Weapons are banned:

Source :http://www.postoffice.co.uk/prohibited-goods-uk

I'd be interested where the law stood on things like kitchen knives.

I also was able to send a set of aluminium nunchaku to a friend in the UK without issue though am not sure if this was because it's legal or just Customs didn't notice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

anvilfour wrote: »
    It seems Weapons are banned:

Source :http://www.postoffice.co.uk/prohibited-goods-uk
    If you read the full text it defines weapons as "Section 5 firearms", including flick knifes, etc.

I don't think a hunting knife like an opinel would fall under that section.
    I'd be interested where the law stood on things like kitchen knives.
    If you click the restricted button at the top, you'll see that knifes are restricted but not prohibited.
    Sharp objects like knives, kitchen utensils and gardening tools may only be posted if they are packaged appropriately so that they are no risk to employees, other postal items or recipients.

Wrap heavy cardboard around sharp edges and points, strong enough to ensure that the contents do not pierce the outer packaging. Wrap each item with cushioning material. Place in a suitable outer container such as a padded envelope. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

So on that based, they can be sent through the UK system. However, you'll also need to check with AnPost rules too.
    I also was able to send a set of aluminium nunchaku to a friend in the UK without issue though am not sure if this was because it's legal or just Customs didn't notice! :)
    That was prob was restricted

Advertisement