Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom Phone/Broadband Connection help

Options
  • 13-06-2015 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,
    I am getting broadband installed next week. Here is the setup at the moment -
    Office - Main phone line from eircom (cat 5) coming to the office,
    Each room in the house has cat 5 running back from norman rj11 faceplates.

I intend to have wired connections to tv's for android streaming boxes. Everything else (computers, mobiles) can run on wifi

The thing is I also want a couple of phone connections, Kitchen, bedrooms etc.

Question is- can I run broadband and phone over 1 cat 5 cable.

If not what would the best solution be, I will have the eircom router and I can buy any other switches, patch panels or faceplates required.

In reality only 3 rooms would require wired broadband and phone connections but they only have 1 cat 5 cable running to them.

Thanks in adfvance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes, but only at 100Mb not Gig. Not very future proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jmgall

I'll only have 24meg tops for now anyway, I can change it around later, much later if Eircom dont get their act together. It will be 2016 before fiber gets to me.

So what way do you suggest working the single cat 5 for the phone and broadband ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pins 4,5,7&8 arent used in 100 Base T, so you can "steal" them to run phones off.

Buy faceplates with RJ45 and RJ11 keystones, then take of a good two inches of sheath and separate 1 pair off for the RJ11 keeping the rest tightly wrapped up to the RJ45. Do the same at the other end and connect all the phone pairs back onto the faceplate of the eircom NTU.

Advertisement