Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC, DIT, UCC or Queens for Architecture?

Options
  • 13-06-2015 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I am currently doing my Leaving Cert exams and thinking about where to apply to next year. I hope to do Architecture, but would like some advice on which course would be recommended.

The courses I am looking to apply to are at DIT and UCD in Dublin, UCC/CIT joint course in Cork and Queen's in Belfast. I am not overly bothered about what city is the best, more which degree.

I was hoping somebody could tell me a bit about these different courses and which degrees are most highly recognised by potential employers? I notice the UCC/CIT course last year had a significantly lower points requirement. Is this because it is a younger course? Or is it less well recognised, less enjoyable or simply because more people are attracted to Dublin? Cork looks like a very nice city to me, though very very far away!

I am also wondering if UCD and Queen's would be better recognised as they are universities rather that institutes of technology?

So basically, if anyone could help me regarding which degree is 'best', I'd really appreciate it. By the way, I like the idea of working in the UK and abroad in the future if that makes a difference regarding degree recognition.

Thanks!
    Ryan :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Antarctica

Isn't Queens part of an "elite" group of UK universities?

Think I would prefer to live in Dublin than Belfast however.

UCD is a much nicer campus than DIT Bolton however - which is just a building in the north inner city, although very close to Connolly St etc and a massive cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RJMortimer

Ok thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I know somebody who got 575 points in the Leaving but chose architecture in DIT over all the other options. Not sure why. I'd check out the job prospects because a very large number of her classmates left architecture and retrained in other professions when the Bubble burst in 2008-2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

The different schools have different strengths. In the past UCD was known as a more academic course and DIT a more technical one.
    I don't know much about the Belfast or the Cork one.
    UCD have just been inspected by the US accreditation board, as the website says
    "It is the only course of architecture in Ireland that is accredited by the recognised professional institutes of both Ireland (Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland – RIAI) and the United Kingdom (Royal Institute of British Architects – RIBA). The School of Architecture is also pursuing accreditation with the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) in the USA."
    When deciding I would also look at the teaching staff from each university/college. The more practising architects on the staff the better. Find a firm you admire and see where their partners and associates come from. Architecture is a very small field, so most students from the two Dublin colleges know each other and I can't say either is looked down upon.
    It is bloody hard course though.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭PaperArchitect

UCD are trying to really push themselves out there and are trying to get accredited from various national and international bodies. It is a great school. But I would question the relevance of these validations as the AIA requires that at least on project in the school be performed through video which is now a part if the curriculum in 4th year. I wonder how this is beneficial? Similarly I know DIT is interested into looking fur accreditation from the Canadian Institute for architects. So I really don't think any of this stuff is important and as someone said in another post it really is just background noise. At the moment I think DIT and UCD have similar numbers of practicing staff. The school in DIT is now part of the school of construction and trades aswell so they really are trying to be seen as a school of building but of course there are still thesis projects in 5th year that go against the grain. The biggest difference can be seen in the thesis projects where DIT is producing buildings and UCD research projects. Of course the students in UCD have an architectural design project in the first semester but I think ending in a research project is very suggestive of how they want to be perceived as a school.

Like I said in another post, DIT, Queens and UCD all good choices but I'd recommend the first two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement