Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isle of Valentia festival July 10th ft: Massive Attacks Daddy G & loads more...

Options
  • 13-06-2015 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

A friend of mine put me onto this festival off the coast of Kerry. On this amazing Island with a capacity of 3,000. Here's a link to the site: http://www.valentiaislefestival.com
    International line up, top Irish acts, dance tents, family friendly and it'll have the McGregor fight on a massive screen in one of the tents. It seems to be ticking all the boxes, Has anyone ever been?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Looking forward to this, looks good can't imagine anywhere near 3000 being at it though. If weather is good itl be amazing. Cracking scenery down there.

I actually won tickets to this on one of those like and share competitions on Facebook few weeks back. Makes weekend that bit sweeter getting it for free :p

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭i 15

Apparently the Island is one of only 3 places on Earth that has an INTERNATIONAL DARK SKY RESERVES Gold Tier Status which, according to the interwebs, means you can see: The full array of visible sky phenomena can be viewed—e.g. aurora, airglow, Milky Way, zodiacal light, and faint meteors.
    Sweet.

Just noticed New Secret Weapon are playing as well. Irelands best band imo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

Where did you hear they were showing the McGregor fight? Can't find anything on the site and would love to watch it (without bringing down my own projector and screen!)

kevthecelt wrote:
    Where did you hear they were showing the McGregor fight? Can't find anything on the site and would love to watch it (without bringing down my own projector and screen!)

Same here was actually sickened when I realised it was the same weekend. If I'm in a state to remember I'll be trying to get it on phone but doubt there be even a fraction of the signal strength down there required for that! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

If you're with 3 it might be ok according to this! http://www.three.ie/explore/coverage-checker/

• Advertisement

Fear not mine friends :)

Not only are they screening it BUT they're screening it in a circus tent live for everyone to watch. That will be some buzz.
    Italia 90 eat yer heart out :)

https://twitter.com/Valentia_Fest/status/610821825594007554

Radiomade.ie have just released this poster as well.
    11638806_589183152713_1575182059_o.jpg

What with the calling off of the Killarney festival least Kerry folk have one festival to go to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

There is another Valentia thread that was started in April. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057416203

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

this ones better :)

THREAD WAAAAARRRRRSSSSS!!!!!

Shame about Aldo pulling out but still be good to see McGregor fight a wrestler. Fight a wrestler on a massive screen in a huge circus tent on an Island in the Ocean.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Anyone heading down to this? Few of us heading down but haven't a clue what to expect to be honest, don't even know many of the acts playing although I saw Norman Jay before who was pretty good. I assume you can bring your own drink in? What's the capacity? Guessing it will be a very small festival. Not too much info on the website. Once we get the weather I'm sure it will be a great weekend!

Anyone heading down to this? Few of us heading down but haven't a clue what to expect to be honest, don't even know many of the acts playing although I saw Norman Jay before who was pretty good. I assume you can bring your own drink in? What's the capacity? Guessing it will be a very small festival. Not too much info on the website. Once we get the weather I'm sure it will be a great weekend!

I was at the last secret sounds festival, those guys seem to have some involvement in this, they have a stage there anyway, that was a savage weekend, great tunes ( various house / techno djs from around ireland) and sound people.

Ya i have no idea what capacity is id say there will be between 1000 - 3000 at it, Doesnt bother me Small festivals are better in my opinion, as long as theres decent services provided (good choice of food stalls things like that) id say it will be good, weather forecast isnt looking too promising though i think :/

Casshern88 wrote: »
    I was at the last secret sounds festival, those guys seem to have some involvement in this, they have a stage there anyway, that was a savage weekend, great tunes ( various house / techno djs from around ireland) and sound people.

Ya i have no idea what capacity is id say there will be between 1000 - 3000 at it, Doesnt bother me Small festivals are better in my opinion, as long as theres decent services provided (good choice of food stalls things like that) id say it will be good, weather forecast isnt looking too promising though i think :/

Yeah a few mates of mine who played at Secret Sounds are also playing at this too, hopefully it's a good crowd and no scumbags. Yeah weather isn't looking the best, just hope it isn't a total washout. Not looking forward to the 4 hour drive home on Monday either..

I hope you get good weather for this, windy and rainy at the moment here in Galway.

Main stage
    11709707_719408924853479_5831296492900154966_o.jpg

Blind Pig stage
    11709554_719396361521402_5107186230955754313_n.jpg?oh=f6a9ef56e4b4f34d019e3dcf639f0d4a&oe=561C9F1A

Secret Sounds also posted the stage times for their stage on their facebook page.
    How many stages are there, 3 or 4? I presume you're allowed to bring your own drink into the festival? Does anyone know what time the campsite opens on the Friday?

Anyone driving back to Galway city Monday morning?? I might need a lift on the return leg of the journey if anyone has a spare car seat going, can contribute for fuel!

5 stages. Campsite opens 12 Friday I believe and you can bring your own gargles.

Looking like a wet one, better bring the wellies and rain gear!

• Advertisement

Down in Valentia at the mo, a little overcast but sun is breaking through. Setting is fantastic!!
    Otherworldly.
    Roll on the rest of the weekend!!
    Still day and weekend tix left apparently.

So how was the festival?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Le_Dooner

It was very reminiscent of Funland from Father Ted.

Just home now. I had a great weekend, although there was a lot that went wrong - mainly due to the weather. Raining and extremely windy all day Saturday and then the heavens opened on Sunday night too. Friday and Sunday during the day were nice though. The wind was so strong on Saturday that one of the tented stages blew down and they had to cancel that stage for the Saturday, lots of peoples tents got destroyed or blown away too. Some of the acts didn't turn up either I believe, again this was possibly down to the weather. Also they didn't end up showing the McGregor fight which was slightly disappointing but I was happy enough to go to bed anyway. Everyone I got talking to over the weekend was lovely, in terms of crowd I would say it was one of the best festivals I've ever been to. Music was very good on Friday and Saturday but I didn't enjoy the Sunday as much, Norman J wasn't as good as I remembered at Castlepalooza last year.

Very enjoyable weekend overall though, great location for it just a shame about the weather. I heard they sold in and around 1,000 tickets for it which was probably a bit disappointing for the organizers but I really liked the atmosphere of a campsite that small.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

Just home now. I had a great weekend, although there was a lot that went wrong - mainly due to the weather. Raining and extremely windy all day Saturday and then the heavens opened on Sunday night too. Friday and Sunday during the day were nice though. The wind was so strong on Saturday that one of the tented stages blew down and they had to cancel that stage for the Saturday, lots of peoples tents got destroyed or blown away too. Some of the acts didn't turn up either I believe, again this was possibly down to the weather. Also they didn't end up showing the McGregor fight which was slightly disappointing but I was happy enough to go to bed anyway. Everyone I got talking to over the weekend was lovely, in terms of crowd I would say it was one of the best festivals I've ever been to. Music was very good on Friday and Saturday but I didn't enjoy the Sunday as much, Norman J wasn't as good as I remembered at Castlepalooza last year.

Very enjoyable weekend overall though, great location for it just a shame about the weather. I heard they sold in and around 1,000 tickets for it which was probably a bit disappointing for the organizers but I really liked the atmosphere of a campsite that small.

Sounds like the first year of Indiependence!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

roll wrote: »
    Sounds like the first year of Indiependence!

That's exactly what I was thinking lol.... Camped on the side of a GAA pitch with a couple hundred other hardy souls. 1 stage, 1 tent, 1 red bull 'gazebo' and the flatbed of a lorry. It lashed rain all weekend and a lot of the band's had to carry their own gear to the stage lol.... It should have been a disaster, but it was actually great craic.
    And look at Indiependence now, they're almost sold out already for this year.... 5000 capacity I think (correct me if I'm wrong).

Have faith Valentia Fest organisers, it's gonna get better!

Advertisement