Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite already installed in new house

Options
  • 13-06-2015 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

Hi

Sorry if this is already covered in detail. Just point me in the right direction and I'll do some reading later.

Myself and the gf have just bought a house, and it already has a satellite dish installed. There are 2 cables coming into the sitting room. From my limited knowledge, these would be 2 feeds from the dish (one for watching and one for recording?).

My question is, would I be able to use this for free to air tv. What would I need to get this up and running?

I'd also like the Irish channels so will look at getting a Saorview arial installed.

Can you recommend a receiver that will do all of the above (satellite and Saorview and also have recording functionality)?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

You can just plug in a free to air satellite receiver to either of the dish feeds and away you go.
    Try a Ferguson Ariva combo or any other combo box and you will have all from one box once you get an aerial attached to it along with a satellite feed.
    Other combo boxes are available depending on how much effort you want to put in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My advice would be to get a Freesat box which you can use for the Free Satellite channels, it is a very neat and tidy solution with numbered channels unlike the generic satellite receivers which tune in hundreds of unwanted channels and jumbles them all up in completely wrong sequence. And if you are not tech savvy it is just a pain in the neck. For Saorview get an aerial and if you have a reasonably new TV then the TV itself will tune in the channels without going down the combi box route which is more expensive. Having used a Ferguson box before I found them rubbish and it failed after 3 weeks and I returned for a refund, I know lots of people are happy with theirs but I wouldn't touch it with a 50ft bargepole to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

If you get a Freesat box then get a Freesat+HD box, use both feeds from the dish and you can then record and watch simultaneously.
    Add in a Saorview receiver capable of recording and there you go, a full time shift system.
    I'm not too well acquainted with Saorview equipment, I almost never use RTE etc., but I do have a generic DVB-T2 receiver for RTE et al and it records via a usb thumb drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

My tv is around 10 years old.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the tuner for Saorview built in so I'd rather have one box that will take 2 feeds for the sat and also be capable of displaying saorview. Also all in HD if possible.

Is this just pushing up the cost with each feature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭cornholiooo

Amiko Alien

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Found the Amiko Alien 2 for €150 delivered. Seems exactly what I want. Have a few hard drives lying around.

Will order one now. Thanks.

Advertisement