Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attacking the poster

Options
  • 12-06-2015 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

have you done it in other forums, and would you welcome it here? do you think its necessary to lash out at posters who rile you and feel are deserving of severe criticism and abuse? or do you feel that nobody deserves abuse?

I see why its frowned upon in these quarters. there are times when id love to call a wanker a wanker, and feel its just part of the internet. personal abuse is not personal if you dont know the person, I often think to myself. im in two minds about whether it should be part and parcel of online discussion. but of course theres a difference between discussion and full on abuse. 'lol ******' obviously adds nothing to anything, but a more passionate attack interwined with the discussion would be ok in my eyes. it livens up the place. like big brother on speed. happy clappy ''civil'' **** gets tiresome at times. but I get why boards is shying away from what could become pages and pages of flaming. they want to be a site with ''standards'' and differentiate itself from the reddits and the 4chans. but as a result it feels a bit too ''primary school'' on here sometimes, with a focus on ''towing the line''. like the boards kids having to settle for fruit and soggy sandwiches for lunch while the reddit kids get their chocolate, crisps and coke. '' but mammy/teacher, reddit is allowed to -'' ''I don't care about reddit, you'll do as I say''.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

would you ever go and **** off, its grand as it is, dickhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

No that just shows you lost the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Mech1 wrote: »
    would you ever go and **** off, its grand as it is, dickhead.

[USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST]

I wouldn't want to stay if it was acceptable to be obnoxious to other posters. There's nothing wrong with having some standards for civilised behaviour.

As irritated and tempted as I get sometimes myself, personal attacks are something I wouldn't be interested in reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Wow OP, you are really edgy and profound

As one of the boards sheeple I look on you with awe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Excellent idea I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

I am tearing it up of the wall right now!

Attacks etc...Personally I don't like it. Actually I hate it. But there you go. It's worse when they follow you from thread to thread or forum to forum etc. Or worse other places on the net.

But to be honest who cares what I think? I can go if I don't like it. No one is forcing me to be here. No one is forcing anyone to be here. It's a private forum that happens to be free of charge.

I would like it to be nicer on here if anything. But there you go ...I am apparently a pc brigadier.

Some posters are just nasty. I try to be without any nastiness when I post.

I would hate to think some people are upset by it. You here so much about kids being bullied etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

should set up a battle forum where the two people can battle it out with name calling until one gives up.. that will settle it. bragging rights to the winner :)

should set up a battle forum where the two people can battle it out with name calling until one gives up.. that will settle it. bragging rights to the winner :)

Thunderdome...is that still here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If you can't make your point without resorting to personal abuse then I don't think it's a point worth making in the first place.

• Advertisement

If you can't make your point without resorting to personal abuse then I don't think it's a point worth making in the first place.

Sometimes the personal abuse is actually the point for some people. Or abuse for the world in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I never attack the poster , but i've read threads here where a mod has attacked a poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

It's nice to be important. But it's more important to be nice.

SCOOTER, BACK IN IRELAND!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Stupid people resort to distraction. Lose the argument. Attack the poster.

Attacking me personally always makes me smile. I really shouldn't enjoy it so much but i argue for a living so, heck. Screw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Blunt personal attacks I wouldn't have much time for. The rules are loose enough that you can get a dig in without a card if you're not a moron. Think of it as Darwinism. The smart ones get to keep posting.

You do get posters who are so attached to their views or opinions that they view any criticism of them as a personal attack.

I've also encountered a few individuals who have claimed personal expertise or experience as an argument for their views. Having introduced their personal expertise and experience to support their argument (Trust me...I'm an expert), they have then taken any questioning of that expertise or experience as a personal attack on them, rather than their argument.

Two of them continued on this path for so long, and endured so many "personal attacks" that they eventually took it upon themselves to take the higher path and simply stopped sharing their personal experience and expertise with us. We suffer still for the lack of their dubious wisdom/qualifications.

Stupid people resort to distraction. Lose the argument. Attack the poster.

Attacking me personally always makes me smile. I really shouldn't enjoy it so much but i argue for a living so, heck. Screw it.

That sig is class!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

If someone is simply being thick, stupid, deliberately naive, arrogant or unreasonably stubborn, personal abuse is sometimes warranted. Heck, some posters are obviously looking for a reaction or on a wind up. It's more honest to let them know what you really think of them rather than reluctantly wording your comments in such a way that you can mock the poster without calling them names or brazenly insulting their intelligence. The forum isn't going to implode into some sort of a Thunderdome scenario as a result. It feels like were all man children sometimes with the amount of rules and stern warnings from moderators. Why won't you let me be ME !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Never wrestle with a pig - you'll both get dirty but the pig will enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Attacking the poster is bullying. say I call you fat on the internet. that's online bullying. I may hirt your feelings, but ultimately it's pointless.
    Real life bullying is where it's at. Give you a bit of a chase cos you're fat. that way you get some exercise and reduce your chances of getting heart disease or diabetes. Which not only helps you, but takes a future strain off the health service.

So, I'm against it. But not for the same reasons as you, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I have enough of a temper that I won't say I've never written a more strongly-worded comment than I intended although my temper is the sort that flares up and dies off fairly quickly, so I tend to then feel bad about it and apologise :D Without tone though, sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference between something that wasn't intended as an attack on the poster and something that is. /shrug

Rarely deliberately set out to be an ass to anyone, online or offline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Poster one says something
    Poster 2 -
    That post is retarded
    Poster 1 -
    Retarded is an uneducated and bigoted word to use

No abuse here!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have often been accused of making certain arguments only because the attackers assumed that they knew the nature of my work. I see that quite a lot, snouts in the trough, government shills, etc. Some people also assume that other posters are being paid by political parties and others to make certain arguments on Boards. There was at least one thread started on that basis and it is a recurring theme in others.

Apart from that sort of unfounded abuse I was stalked by a few posters who took information from my profile and wrongly made 2 and 2 equal 5. They got together in a little gang to abuse me every time I posted. In the end I had to report them and they had their wings clipped. The Mods described them as creepy and sinister which is exactly the way I felt about them.

But they did achieve their desired effect to some extent as I have mostly stayed away from a couple of threads and I would not quote or answer those particular posters now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

There's a phase, attack the post, not the poster.

Therefore you can't say "You're a fcuking moron" You can say "That post is moronic".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Thunderdome...is that still here?

Well you only joined 2 days ago so if it was there then I'd wager it is now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Thunderdome got the boot a good while back, over a year, I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Some people quite plainly do deserve anything that is said to them but I suppose I can see why it's better generally for the place not to allow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Samaris wrote: »
    Thunderdome got the boot a good while back, over a year, I think?

Those oddballs just moved elsewhere as far as I know, good riddance too. Uncivilised name calling and hideous remarks about ones appearance is quite hurtful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Personal abuse is not allowed, unless that is: you wanna call someone a dick, that's cool. You're a dick when you're being a real shit. Don't be that dude.Not that women can't be dicks too though. They can. It's not a sexist term at all. No way. Yeah sure, I hear ya, only men have dicks and all but that's reading way too much into it. It's true I suppose that that dick started out being use as a pejorative for men who were being pricks but then women started acting like men, I mean in a negative way, online like and so they started to get called dicks too. It's a thing like. There's been TED talks on it and all. It's genuinely not sexist. It's not. See, now you're been a dick. Okay, what about cunt then. Men can be called cunts can't they? Is that a sexist term too? No, it isn't, is it. And pussy? Do we hear women complaining about that being sexist? No. Oh that's real mature. I am not a prick, you fucking dickhead. Yeah, same to you. Goodbye. Knob.

Advertisement