Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner driver insurance help?

Options
  • 12-06-2015 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I bought a car a few days ago it's a 95 starlet and I'm trying to get it insured and I'm just wondering what would be the cheapest way to go about it? I know you can go under a parent but does the car have to be registered to the policy holder and I heard that I can take out a policy and put a parent as a named driver and it works out cheap but is it true? And is there anyway to prove the car isn't modified since that's what some one insurance company said was a 'problem' with starlets
    I know this kind of question comes up alot but I can't find one about insuring a parent as a named driver and proving the car is stock
    Thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Best thing to do is to insure the car in your own name and then to add your parents on as additional drivers (this will bring down the premium).

Unfortunately, for young learner drivers, it will be quiet expensive. You may be talking twice the value of the car at least.

Some insurance providers dont insure cars that are over 15 years old, but check up with them anyhow and see if they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jasonob221

Best thing to do is to insure the car in your own name and then to add your parents on as additional drivers (this will bring down the premium).

Unfortunately, for young learner drivers, it will be quiet expensive. You may be talking twice the value of the car at least.

Some insurance providers dont insure cars that are over 15 years old, but check up with them anyhow and see if they will.

Thanks for the reply! I know it still won't be pennies but it's mad money for young drivers. Didn't know about the 15 year old thing though. Atleast if I have a parent as a named driver and on the off chance something does happen it won't affect their ncb.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

jasonob221 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply! I know it still won't be pennies but it's mad money for young drivers. Didn't know about the 15 year old thing though. Atleast if I have a parent as a named driver and on the off chance something does happen it won't affect their ncb.

Absolutely bonkers the quotes that insurance providers give to young drivers. Last year I went to go get my own insurance and the quote given was €5,500 - double the value of the car - and it was a 2002 Corolla!!

I've only seen that 15 year rule on a couple of websites when getting an online quote. Someone told me that it will be the same with all insurance providers but Im not sure about how true that is. Give them a call anyhow and Im sure they'd try help you out!

Having a named driver with a full clean licence is a huge help. Im looking to get my own policy in the next full weeks and its bringing my quotes down by approx €500 straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

The joys of being a young driver.

I remember my first insurance approx 15 years ago was £2500 punts. It was mad money but the cheapest I could get at the time and it was only 3rd party fire & theft on a 1.1 Corsa.

Funnily enough, my renewal came in yesterday for €270 fully comp on a 2.2 litre.

The perks of being old.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ashdabash88

Hi There,

I'm trying to help my younger sister (21) get insured on either my policy or my mums so she can start her driving lessons.

I have a 1.9tdi VW golf thats only worth around €1800, my mum has a 1.6 petrol renault which is a smaller car but worth around €5k.

Does anyone know if it will be cheaper to insure my sister on the less valuable car or the car that has the least horsepower?

Thanks a million,
    Aisling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

insurance on the renault will be cheaper.

golfs have a bad rep among younger drivers due to being popular and big hp

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ashdabash88

thanks a million really appreciate it!

Advertisement