Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting insured, need help!

Options
  • 12-06-2015 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey guys just wondering what happens if i get my own insurance on a provisional permit on my own car but then add my mother as a named driver? Will insurance become cheaper?
    Even though she has her own car with a different company will she loose her no claims bonus (as i have been told by a friend this will happen, not sure if true).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

my insurance is slightly lower cos I have my mum as a named driver, i'm over 35 with over 10yrs full license. She's just added by default by the broker, not sure she's ever driven my car. When I had a provisional license way back, I got a discount when she was added to the policy, not sure how much, but at 3000 punts, it was a nice chunk of change

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Most insurers do lower the premium on a policy if your mother is on the policy. Mine is named but never driven the car and added no extra cost but did lower it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

It might well lower the premium yes. Also she wouldn't lose her own ncb, being named on yours has no impact on it once she still has her own policy on her own car.

Advertisement