Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can someone recommend a book on MVC

Options
  • 12-06-2015 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

hi guys, i a C# developer with some asp.net exposure. I am hoping to get a handle on MVC. Can anyone prescribe a good online resource or book that you covers all the important stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I used the 3rd edition of this book (http://www.amazon.com/Pro-ASP-NET-Experts-Voice-ASP-Net/dp/1430265299/ref=dp_ob_title_bk) when first learning MVC and found it to be very good. That was back at MVC 3 but we're now on MVC 5 so make sure you get the right book for the version of MVC you are ultimately going to end up using. If you don't have to work on any old projects just stick with the MVC 5 books (though the jump from MVC 4 to 5 isn't all that significant from what I can see).

The book I've referenced expects the reader to know C# and it makes use of a lot of other technologies since it's goal is to teach you how to design modern MVC applications. So front-end, testing, ORM, and IoC tools/libraries are used in examples (but not taught in any detail since each of these have their own dedicated books).

The book is targeted at a professional audience and it's target market is specified as 'Intermediate to Advanced'.

In terms of websites you can't go wrong with http://www.asp.net/mvc and the stack overflow community for MVC is very good for when you get stuck.

Just remember that when developing anything in MVC you'll pretty much always have to work on the database (generally Entity Framework) and the front end (HTML, CSS, JavaScript) as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I find it a bit annoying that MVC is now assumed to be a MS technology: the Model-View-Controller model has been around long before .Net. So if you're looking for informaton on the ASP.NET MVC Framework, then please call it that.

So, for MVC, here is some excellent material:
    For the ASP.NET MVC Framework, try these:

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭purerandom

great responses there, thank you all kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

bpmurray wrote: »
    I find it a bit annoying that MVC is now assumed to be a MS technology: the Model-View-Controller model has been around long before .Net. So if you're looking for informaton on the ASP.NET MVC Framework, then please call it that.

Took the words out of my mouth!

Advertisement