Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Carton House Driving Range (GUI Academy)

  • 12-06-2015 2:21pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭✭ BooYah


    Does anyone know if the driving range at the GUI Academy in Carton House is open again? I was up there about 6 weeks ago and the range was closed and they had a few rather large mounds of sand in the middle of the range. Spoke to the instructor who just happened to be walking by the entrance and he said that it was due to be closed for two weeks but the way he said it made it sound like he didn't know if it was going to open at all. Tried calling them but it's going straight to a recorded message - I fear it's closed for good :-(


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 19,572 ✭✭✭✭ PARlance


    Not sure if it's back open yet but it's definitely not closing. They are redeveloping it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭✭ BooYah


    PARlance wrote: »
    Not sure if it's back open yet but it's definitely not closing. They are redeveloping it.
    Cheers for that - I might take a spin up then (with clubs) and see what the story is.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭ Ollieboy


    What is the cost of using the range for a bucket of balls and do you have to pay for the short game area?

    can't find it on there website.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭✭ BooYah


    Ollieboy wrote: »
    What is the cost of using the range for a bucket of balls and do you have to pay for the short game area?

    can't find it on there website.

    All found at bettergolf.ie. I was thinking of joining as a member of the academy. €16 a month for 50% reduction on balls, unlimited access to putting green and 20 hours on short game area isn't bad at all.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,572 ✭✭✭✭ PARlance


    BooYah wrote: »
    Cheers for that - I might take a spin up then (with clubs) and see what the story is.

    I was up there 3 weeks ago and it didn't look like it would be open anytime soon. Some of the new practice greens were shaped but there wasn't any growth on them. Driving range might be open but the fact that the phone isn't being answered would say it's not open yet.

    Heaven forbid they would stick up something about it on their website!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ BOB81


    I am a range member there - it is €72 or thereabouts for the year for the cheapest option and for that you get use of the putting green whenever you want and half price golf balls (80/90 balls for 4.50 or so I think). I contacted them a while back as the work on the range was originally supposed to be finished by early to mid-April and they indicated that they expected the range to be re-opened in early June. The range has been closed since the end of Feb - they said the delay was due to poor ground conditions. I assume they will notify all range members when the range is re-opening but I've heard nothing so far - would definitely expect it to re-open though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭✭ BooYah


    BOB81 wrote: »
    I am a range member there - it is €72 or thereabouts for the year for the cheapest option and for that you get use of the putting green whenever you want and half price golf balls (80/90 balls for 4.50 or so I think). I contacted them a while back as the work on the range was originally supposed to be finished by early to mid-April and they indicated that they expected the range to be re-opened in early June. The range has been closed since the end of Feb - they said the delay was due to poor ground conditions. I assume they will notify all range members when the range is re-opening but I've heard nothing so far - would definitely expect it to re-open though.

    Took a drive up and I'm just back from there. Range is still closed but is being used for lessons. Short game area is open. Looks like a few more weeks until it opens fully.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13 ✭✭✭ BooYah


    The GUI Academy is back open ... I was up there today. I also joined as a member but they wouldn't let me join for the year, only until October when they want bring everyone on to the same renewal date. It's that or they want to up the price!

    It's €60 until October (not sure if it's to the start or end of the month) which includes 50% off range balls, 20 hours a month on the short game facility, unlimited use of the putting green and 10% off clinics.


  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ redhill


    is this back open after the Kildare lockdown?
    Struggling to find up to date information about it on their website


  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ pakman


    redhill wrote: »
    is this back open after the Kildare lockdown?
    Struggling to find up to date information about it on their website

    I was there on Tuesday and they were open. Make sure you go in the range side of Carton though as there is no through road anymore.


  • Advertisement
Advertisement