Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science Maynooth

Options
  • 12-06-2015 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

whats the difference between Computer Science (Science Entry) and Computer Science (Arts Entry), do you come out with the same qualification?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ChildtoAdult

NMG97 wrote: »
    whats the difference between Computer Science (Science Entry) and Computer Science (Arts Entry), do you come out with the same qualification?

Depends on what you prefer to study in first year
    In CSSE(Science), you are basically a full General Science student.
    You do your compulsory 2 subjects, Math and Computer Science.
    Then you pick two other subjects, such as Biology, Physics, Mathematical Physics, Chemistry, and Engineering.
    Meaning you take 4 subjects, you will later drop the no-compulsory subjects in 2yr and move forward with a CSSE degree.
    It is a 4yr degree

In CSSE(Arts), You only do 3,
    CS is compulsory, but I assume math is also (because CS and math goes hand in hand)
    For the third subject you can pick from a wild range of arts subjects
    Its only 3 years.
    Although you can transfer into CSSE(Science) 2yr if you do not want to continue with an arts degree

Same Qualifications, Just one has a shorter time span, and type of degree(BA vs BSc)
    Hopefully I answered your Qs.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Depends on what you prefer to study in first year
    In CSSE(Science), you are basically a full General Science student.
    You do your compulsory 2 subjects, Math and Computer Science.
    Then you pick two other subjects, such as Biology, Physics, Mathematical Physics, Chemistry, and Engineering.
    Meaning you take 4 subjects, you will later drop the no-compulsory subjects in 2yr and move forward with a CSSE degree.
    It is a 4yr degree

In CSSE(Arts), You only do 3,
    CS is compulsory, but I assume math is also (because CS and math goes hand in hand)
    For the third subject you can pick from a wild range of arts subjects
    Its only 3 years.
    Although you can transfer into CSSE(Science) 2yr if you do not want to continue with an arts degree

Same Qualifications, Just one has a shorter time span, and type of degree(BA vs BSc)
    Hopefully I answered your Qs.

You're mostly correct on this. CSSE Science works exactly as described. CSSE arts is not a 3 year degree, it is still a 4 year degree. The solitary difference is that you do 3 subjects in first year (with one being something like Law, History, or any other arts subject) with Maths and CS. Years 2,3,4 of CSSE Arts and CSSE Science are then exactly the same.

Source: CSSE Arts entry student in 4th year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

How difficult is the Maths in Arts computer Science?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ChildtoAdult

mossy95 wrote: »
    How difficult is the Maths in Arts computer Science?

A lot of my friends did Computer Science arts Math,
    I compared their Summer math exam to CS.Science math and it is waaaay less stressful and taught better for the arts student

There is a first year Math workshop, GO TO IT, if math isn't your best skill. I advise you to go to the work shop so much, it literally helped me get through college and the guy that teachs it makes it so simple you'd be amazed how quickly it goes in instead of in lectures
    In the first semester it starts off really slow but then things start to speed up, the homework assignments help. EVERYWEEK, you get homework. Many wait to do it last minute but you don't learn anything from it

Don't stress, math department are Amazing at giving help, just do your homework and you'll do great

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Sorry to go off topic lads, but @ ChildToAdult: Could you stop trying to be American, and use a bloody S in the word maths please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The correct word is Mathematics, shortened to maths when I was a lad and math in the States which amused some teachers in my youth.

Both math and maths are colloquialisms and are not bound by any hard and fast rules regarding usage.

Only issue here seems to be some peoples annoyances at creeping Americanisms coming into the language on this side of the Atlantic.

Advertisement