Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gatwick Transfer

Options
  • 12-06-2015 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭

Advice please on the likelihood of success or failure?

Scheduled arrival into Gatwick North with Easy Jet @ 18:00.
    Scheduled departure from Gatwick South with Aer Lingus @ 19:00.

Doable?
    Best route on foot or shuttle - no issue legging it on foot, will only have a rucksack, no checked in baggage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Penalty

I'm normally relaxed about this type of thing and push things to the last minute. Arrive at airport max 1 hour before flight etc.

But this is tight. As we are classed a domestic flight you will have to exit the airport and get the shuttle to South Terminal - actually that's probably quicker than waiting on the bus which can take 15 minutes.

However if you are delayed arriving, if a queue at passport control and then queue at security it could be difficult.

On the positives if all runs on time you can do it but not much wiggle room

I'm an optimist so think you will do it - just about!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Flying this Wednesday will let you know how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I wouldn't risk it myself. You're relying on everything - passport control (which in some UK airports can be awful), security, your flight arriving on time.
    Just too many items out of your control. I'd just wait until the later flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

doable, but security at the south terminal can be crazy around 6pm. you'll need to bring your puppy dog eyes with you to skip the queues.
    take the shuttle train between the terminals, and make sure you've checked in for the aerlingus flight before you get to gatwick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Under no circumstances would I do a 60 minute transfer at LGW, particularly switching terminals.

It's just cutting things far too tight, plus as they will be separate bookings if something goes wrong you have no fall back and will have to book a new Aer Lingus flight.

I would suggest a minimum 90 minutes between flights, and where they are separate bookings a minimum of 120 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

I did this same route with the same airlines on a Tuesday morning a couple of weeks ago.
    It took about 75 minutes but this included checking in baggage with Aer Lingus and not including getting to the actual gate-only the terminal.
    I think your time frame is really really tight. In reality you don't have 60 minutes as I think the gate for the Aer Lingus flight will close at the very least about 45 minutes prior to departure.
    Either way all the very best and I hope you make it!!

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Advice please on the likelihood of success or failure?

Scheduled arrival into Gatwick North with Easy Jet @ 18:00.
    Scheduled departure from Gatwick South with Aer Lingus @ 19:00.

Doable?
    Best route on foot or shuttle - no issue legging it on foot, will only have a rucksack, no checked in baggage.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Personally, I think you are asking for trouble on this one.

Advertisement