Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we have exercises before starting the days work?

Options
  • 12-06-2015 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

I think it's a thing in Japan and some other places, where workers have a daily stretch and exercise set to do before starting the shift. Everyone gets into it. Only a few minutes. Makes everyones life better. What do ye reckon? I wouldn't mind it at all, I might start myself. See who joins in.

Should we have exercises before starting the days work? 28 votes

Yes. Onwards to victory comrade.
    0% 0 votes
    No. I want serious back pain later in life.
    75% 21 votes
    Other.
    25% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pepe silvia

The Japanese also have a word for death from overwork cause its so common,karoshi its called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

The Japanese also have a word for death from overwork cause its so common,karoshi its called.

I wouldn't be in favour of introducing that, no. Nor sushi either. I don't like it (have tried it lots of times).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I have a note...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You don't see a Cheetah limbering up before chasing down it's prey, I'd say we can do without just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

sounds like a laff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Not suprised in Japan considering how hard they appear to work. Ive never seen so many people asleep in every type of location in my life. Apparently they work so hard they grab any time they can for some sleep.

In restaurants, bars, on benches and of course public transport which you would expect but not the majority of the carriage! I went to a festival and as I walked back from the the front of one of the stages there were easily 100 passed out on the ground sleeping away while other people were enjoying the music. (and no they weren't hammered like an Irish festival)

On a seperate note the beauty of Japan is they can do this with their handbags, jackets and the likes beside them and not have to worry about it being taken, safest place I've ever been. Phones left on bar counters for toilet breaks was a common sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Gave it a go this morning, yeah that feels good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

c_man wrote: »
    Gave it a go this morning, yeah that feels good.

Yep, hard to beat a shower/fap combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

If it's on the clock then maybe. If it's before my shift they can fook right off. I'm underpaid as it is without giving them a minute of my free time.

And I know I'm posting in work hours....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

You don't see a Cheetah limbering up before chasing down it's prey, I'd say we can do without just fine.

I'm wondering what you do for a living Captain? :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

c_man wrote: »
    I think it's a thing in Japan and some other places, where workers have a daily stretch and exercise set to do before starting the shift. Everyone gets into it. Only a few minutes. Makes everyones life better. What do ye reckon? I wouldn't mind it at all, I might start myself. See who joins in.

Does boning the missus count?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

df1985 wrote: »
    On a seperate note the beauty of Japan is they can do this with their handbags, jackets and the likes beside them and not have to worry about it being taken, safest place I've ever been. Phones left on bar counters for toilet breaks was a common sight.
    Yeah, it's great that they are able to trust in others like that.

I remember going to a football match and inadvertently ended up in the same section as the 'ultras'.

15 minutes to kickoff - all that was there was bags and stuff to indicate the seat was taken while they went off for food or drinks. A treasure trove for the opportunistic thief. Later on one of the 'ultras' asked me 'are we similar to the ultras in other countries?'. I told him that in terms of noise and colour, then yes, but if you leave your stuff like that, it will be gone.

Not sure about how hard they work though, in comparison to the number of hours they spend in the office. A lot of the time, they simply have to stay until their superior goes home, so once the head guy leaves, it sets off a chain reaction of people being able to leave. That applies to drinking parties too - I've seen a group of young workers wait miserably for their drunk boss to wake up, because they can't go home until he does.

To respond to the OP, yeah they have exercises in some companies, not just at the start, but at intervals during the day. 3 minutes of stretches and things like that. I never worked in a place that did it though. I don't know how common it is overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There's no women in my office so I'd rather not see my co-workers wearing yoga pants or doing stretches first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

You don't see Cheetahs spending most of their waking day in a physiologically unnatural position that leads to muscle tightness and imbalance over time either, doe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The crowd, he saw, was mostly Japanese. Not really a Night City crowd.

Techs down from the Arcologies. He supposed that meant the arena had the approval of some corporate recreational committee.

He wondered briefly what it would be like, working all your life for one zaibatsu. Company housing, company hymn, company funeral.

Neuromancer - William Gibson

Advertisement