Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long cruising?!

Options
  • 11-06-2015 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My little one sat unaided at 5 months, crawled at 6, pulled to stand at 8 months, cruised at 9....At 14 months is still cruising, shows absolutely no interest in walking or standing unaided. She climbs up and down stairs, walks with push toy but simply will not let go! I know she's not worryingly late, it just seems odd that she's been crawling for 8 months and cruising for 5 without taking a single step. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Similar here too. Except my little one hasn't been cruising quite so long. Only about 2 months and she's 19 months old. Im not too concerned. I was told that as long as she doesn't show signs of physical difficulty like being super wobbly, that its fine. I can see bits of progress each week. Like she'll take a few steps on her own now when we let go of her hand where she didn't a week ago. im dying for her to take off - not sure why though, it'll be hard keeping up with her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SugarSalt

Thanks kandr10- I suppose it's the lack of progress that bothers me. Just seems a very long time to be cruising without even attempting to stand alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Kids walk best with something in their hands. Try giving her a toy that needs two hands and see if that encourages her. It's a balance thing (I was told)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My 2 walked at 18 months. Just launched out one day and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SugarSalt

If I give her a toy she just plops to the ground with it! I suppose she's just not ready yet, and she's pretty fast crawling so probably cannot be bothered!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It will come along in it's own time, they are all different really. My small girl is 15 months, and really never crawled or cruised much at all. Went backwards for a while and got very frustrated getting stuck under furniture, then did a bum shuffle for months, but once she could stand up or pull herself up she started taking steps. My first was totally different, cruised for ages first.

I remember all my younger siblings were different to eachother as well. There's nothing wrong, they'll get around to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mine walked at almost 21 months, there's nothing wrong with him, he just took his time!

Don't worry about it, it'll happen eventually! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

It's one thing or the other. Our younger fella was walking at 12 months, but took ages to talk.

It's one thing or the other. Our younger fella was walking at 12 months, but took ages to talk.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My daughter was like that, sat early, done the action man crawl , started crawling and pulling herself up by 10mnths . Then cruising and taking the odd step from 11 mnths but wasnt going properly until 13mnths.
    My son. Sat up about 5mnths then done nothing for months. Eventually started bum shuffling about 9 mnths. Then at 13mnths learned to pull himself up and start cruising with in a few days . Cruised for about 3 weeks then took off walking at 14mnths and hasnt stopped. They are all different.
    My godson was crawling rings around my son before he could bum shuffle but hes not walking yet.
    My friends child didnt move until 17mnths then learned to pull herself up and walked at 18mnths.
    So all very different and not a thing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

my youngest didnt crawl until he figured he could stand up. He was bumming around quiet happily until then.
    There's no rule book on this one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My fella has been cruising the furniture for 6 or 7 months now and is standing for long periods unaided for 2 months. He FINALLY took his first steps last month and we were all excited thinking this is it, he'll be tearing around tomorrow. No such luck! He decided to dwell on it for a whole week before trying it again and now, 4 weeks later, he might take a few steps every few days and then stop again. I'm not worried though, he's just a timid, cautious little man :) If you barely hold the tips of his fingers he can take off running though :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

When the child is standing holding on to the wall, try stand in the middle of the room with a treat like tayto or biscuit. Worked for me she nearly ran twards me

Advertisement