Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Original Writing (originalwriting.ie)

Options
  • 11-06-2015 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there,

Has anybody dealt with original writing (originalwrititng.ie) for self publishing? I'm looking into self publishing my book but have no idea of cost etc!

Appreciate any advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Carinamc wrote: »
    Hi there,

Has anybody dealt with original writing (originalwrititng.ie) for self publishing? I'm looking into self publishing my book but have no idea of cost etc!

Appreciate any advice!

What have they offered you and at what cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Carinamc

I haven't even contacted them yet lol had a bad experience with a crowd in UK and am really clueless now as to where to turn!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I dont understand why anyone chooses self publishing sites that charge money upfront for pre-printed copies, when there are other sites that don't charge any initial fee and print on demand. you pay them when the book has been paid for by the buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

maccored wrote: »
    I dont understand why anyone chooses self publishing sites that charge money upfront for pre-printed copies, when there are other sites that don't charge any initial fee and print on demand. you pay them when the book has been paid for by the buyer.

Because self-publishing with Amazon and the other sites is hard. You realise it's actually quite difficult to make yourself a name as a self-publishing author. That people value things like a good cover, a good blurb, an interesting story, (some value) good writing, there's a lot of marketing work, publicising, building a mailing list, working on keywords, advertising, criticism directed your way and you have to publish often to make a mark because no-one wants to read Bob Herman's single great work. Then there's the fact that you know at most thirty people have read your magnum opus that was going to revolutionise the literary world.

Getting a traditional publisher to take your novel is hard, but so is going the self-publishing route.

Compare that to the satisfied feeling of having ten boxes filled with 500 copies of your novel that you paid a fortune for. Your sixty Facebook friends have a copy collecting dust on a bookshelf after feeling obligated to tell you they'd read it, and your story is sitting in seven independent bookshops who will dump your book before returning it to you...

there is no easy route. im published by the history press and self published on LuLu. I seem to sell more on LuLu. It doesn really matter if you publish on lulu, amazon or through a publisher - its difficult to make a name through each.

• Advertisement

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Compare that to the satisfied feeling of having ten boxes filled with 500 copies of your novel that you paid a fortune for. Your sixty Facebook friends have a copy collecting dust on a bookshelf after feeling obligated to tell you they'd read it, and your story is sitting in seven independent bookshops who will dump your book before returning it to you...

Precisely my point. Hence why I was wondering why people go to third parties to have their books 'published' (which in most cases seems to be mean have x amount of copies printed), whereas the likes of sites like Lulu will sell digitally AND print copies on demand, with no upfront cost (so therefore you dont have ten boxes filled etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

maccored wrote: »
    Precisely my point. Hence why I was wondering why people go to third parties to have their books 'published' (which in most cases seems to be mean have x amount of copies printed), whereas the likes of sites like Lulu will sell digitally AND print copies on demand, with no upfront cost (so therefore you dont have ten boxes filled etc etc)

I just a search on Lulu and here are a list of complaints against them. It doesn't seem to have a good reputation.
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/lulu_com.html

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭buiscuit2168

Carinamc wrote: »
    Hi there,

Appreciate any advice!

As a naive and budding author I used Kazoo (Writing.ie), I didn't have a great a great experience with them at all. I later found original.wiriting.ie who were about 1/3 of the price and my friend used them found them alright. http://www.originalwriting.ie/pages/publishing-packages

Amazon (Create space) have changed the way authors get paid but you do have total control of design and they have POD (print on demand).

Self publishing is tricky, you have to promote your book yourself, it can be it is hard work e.g a dedicated Facebook page, dedicated Twitter account, having a blog, bringing the book to book shops etc

Also, it is hard to get reviews in papers or magazines unless you have a publisher behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭cobham

originalwriting has gone bust

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

cobham wrote: »
    originalwriting has gone bust

Just as I was about to launch in to a "just do it yourself" waffle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement