Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my rights re: working hours?

Options
  • 11-06-2015 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here. I have been in my current job for the past 14 months and my hours have always been 8:30am -5:30pm. These are the hours specified in my contract and these have always been the opening hours of the company.
    Last week my boss came in and said she wants me to now work from 10:30am - 7:30pm on one or two days per week as they are extending the opening hours.
    These hours don't suit me at all as I have after-work commitments and I really don't want to change my hours as it's not what I signed up for. I said this to my boss but she simply said that it's happening, "end of story", and if I didn't agree then she'd "find someone else" to do the job.

What are my rights regarding the change? Is she allowed to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

No, not without your consent:
    "Changes introduced by agreement

The nature of your job may change, so that you are doing a different job for the same employer. Such a major change will probably also result in changes to your terms and conditions of employment. Unless your contract already allows certain changes to be introduced, you or your employer cannot introduce change unilaterally. There must be agreement between the parties. Where such an agreement is reached, you must be given the details of change(s) in writing within 1 month of their coming into operation."

Even if your hours are not stated in your contract, because you've been working these hours for a period of time, this is considered implied contract.

Advertisement