Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grave Digging.

Options
  • 11-06-2015 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭

How many bodies can you get in a grave.
    Some of them seem to have several.If the previous occupant has decomposed presumably you can plant one on top?
    What's the technique for digging a grave?If there's a recent one in there is it going to stink if exposed?
    Any grave diggers around?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Alive or dead bodies ? the alive ones tend to want to escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

A grave ful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

I got about 9 in a 7x3" one about 2.5 meters deep, the daisies also grow extra tall in that patch of land too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

Cremation all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Is this related to your drug deal thread as well? Worried. :( xxx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Think you've to buy a standard sized plot in most graveyards now that can take three, the first three are buried a bit deeper so that they can fit ones in above them provided enough time has passed without the risk of hitting anything.

There's a weird situation with some dead relatives of mine where a woman is buried with her mother-in-law and father-in-law while her husband is buried by himself on the far side of the graveyard due to the order and timing of the deaths being all so close together.

Actually I want to be an organ donor and then donate my body the medical science. Confuse everyone and do a little good! And that way bits of me get another life! :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

I don't know about Ireland but in Scotland the grave was dug deep enough to get 2 coffins, separated by at least 1ft of soil, and 2m of soil on top. The Idea was that if the husband died say, the wife could go in on top at a later date.

I know of one sad case where a couple and their baby were killed in a car crash. Unusually all 3 went into the same plot.

Forgot to add that the first coffin would only go deep if asked for. 2m below surface was standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

dubscottie wrote: »
    I don't know about Ireland but in Scotland the grave was dug deep enough to get 2 coffins, separated by at least 1ft of soil, and 2m of soil on top. The Idea was that if the husband died say, the wife could go in on top at a later date.

I know of one sad case where a couple and their baby were killed in a car crash. Unusually all 3 went into the same plot.

Forgot to add that the first coffin would only go deep if asked for. 2m below surface was standard.

Why don't they cave in then when the coffin rots?

kneemos wrote: »

Because the soil is heavy clay which is packed around the first coffin using the mini-digger (once the family is long gone!!).

The graves are dug with a digger also so nobody is ever inside the grave to put a foot through a coffin lid.

• Advertisement

Lads....don't kill anyone...don't bury no one ...plllleeeeeaaasssse?

Not unless it's zombies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

kneemos wrote: »

Maybe they do, but the graveyard caretaker probably maintain it by adding soil in. to level it off.

You will need lime.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They do collapse down though, thats why new graves are well mounded up and older graves are level with or below the surrounding soil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

dubscottie wrote: »
    Because the soil is heavy clay which is packed around the first coffin using the mini-digger (once the family is long gone!!).

The graves are dug with a digger also so nobody is ever inside the grave to put a foot through a coffin lid.

Pick and shovel around here - my mate is the local grave digger. Back-breaking work, but well-paid as it happens. And he's gone down through the lids of many a coffin when digging in the same spot again...bit of soil on top - be grand. The dead people never complain much.

Maybe they do, but the graveyard caretaker probably maintain it by adding soil in. to level it off.

They do overtime but that is why clay is used around the coffin. Clay is water tight to a point so it helps to protect the coffin.

If you look at any cemetery, hidden somewhere will be mounds of topsoil and clay..

If you dug down and found sand or soil, you would go off and get a trailer of clay for around the coffin.

I'm back ...I had a quick avatar change ..ah that feels more comfortable!

State at an open grave too long they push you in. So I'm off! No one is burying ME alive .....gulp or dead! I just been born!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

looksee wrote: »
    They do collapse down though, thats why new graves are well mounded up and older graves are level with or below the surrounding soil.

How long does that take?

looksee wrote: »

That is just the soil settling.. Takes about 2 weeks or even less if there is lots of rain. Same when you dig over any bit ground.

Coffins for burial are usually hardwoods that take ages to even start to rot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Don't they put a board over the filled in graves and then cover that with the decorative stones or whatever?

So the question of caving in after decomposition of the coffin wouldn't arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I remember my Dad being called by the priest from his old parish to say his parents grave had collapsed on one side. He said when he went to sort it out, he raked back the stones and the muck had sunk in the shape of my Grandad's coffin. Dad is now buried on top of his Dad, as sufficient years had passed and obviously his coffin had given way and made more room on top.
    An uncle of mine was a gravedigger years ago when graves were still dug by hand. He jumped into a grave he had dug to test the depth, and went straight through a coffin underneath :(

catallus wrote: »
    Don't they put a board over the filled in graves and then cover that with the decorative stones or whatever?

So the question of caving in after decomposition of the coffin wouldn't arise.

I don't know what the practice is in Ireland but the council I worked for grassed over all graves. Maintenance nightmare otherwise.

Interesting point.. They put the coffins so deep in Scotland to stop grave robbing!! Goes back to the days of Burke and Hare in Edinburgh.

73Cat wrote: »
    I remember my Dad being called by the priest from his old parish to say his parents grave had collapsed on one side. He said when he went to sort it out, he raked back the stones and the muck had sunk in the shape of my Grandad's coffin. Dad is now buried on top of his Dad, as sufficient years had passed and obviously his coffin had given way and made more room on top.
    An uncle of mine was a gravedigger years ago when graves were still dug by hand. He jumped into a grave he had dug to test the depth, and went straight through a coffin underneath :(

I noticed that seems to be the done thing here. The family putting one coffin on top of another for generations.

I wasn't a grave digger myself but the parks dept looked after the cemeteries and crematoriums.

Every winter my crew had to do a 2 month stint in the crematorium. (nothing else to do). I witnessed some weird things and got to know the grave diggers.

The only place wives were not allowed to be buried with the husbands was at the Naval graveyard. Classed as war graves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

My day job very frequently involves digging up people who have been buried.

Trust me on this - if possible, you should get cremated or buried at sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Swanley

Dope!! I loved this one! How did it go again?!?

She take my money! when I'm in need...
    Yeah she's a trifling, friend indeed;
    Oh she's a gravedigger - way over town...
    That digs on me...

Sweeeet!! Early West is too dope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The worst story from the Gravediggers radio doc was when they were digging down a new plot which was tight up against another families plot, when the grave was dug the neighbouring plot collapsed and a coffin which had being interred for about a year came crashing through the wall of dirt into the new grave.

Imagine having to deal with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Guy that used to work for me also digs graves full time.. He said when they come down onto real old coffins they (sometimes seek priests advice) break on through and then when they get to their depth they bury the bones under where the current burial is going, typically 50-60 years lets this happen although most have partially collapsed in at that stage.

Spoke to an undertaker whom I'd know well enough and he said the toughest job was lifting a guy who had been buried 20 years previous, he had to be re-coffined graveside, brought for DNA testing and then re-buried straight away.

I saw a priests grave being prepared once and it was lined in the floor and a wee stand made with brick, sort of platform underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Swanley

Jeeez.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

_Brian wrote: »
    Spoke to an undertaker whom I'd know well enough and he said the toughest job was lifting a guy who had been buried 20 years previous, he had to be re-coffined graveside, brought for DNA testing and then re-buried straight away.

CSI Cavan did the testing?

Advertisement