Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing Classic Car to Ireland

Options
  • 11-06-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hello,

I know the set fee for registering a vintage car is 200e, and then the car is verified in the NCTs.

What are the inspecting?

I plan on importing a car that is registered in the UK, but it has a 1970 vw beetle chasis, different engine and different body. Can they reject that this is not what it says in the UK log book?

Bit worried about this.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I don't think they have to knowledge to say it's the wrong engine and body. They are only interested that the facts on the document match the car. Why don't you ring them and ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Unless it's a Nova or a buggy or something, I doubt you'll have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

The engine isn't even a VW engine but another manufacture, and the body is a fibreglass replica of another car, looks absolutely nothing like an old beetle, interior wise etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

They look at the chassis number on the book and they look at the chassis number on the car to see if they match and that's about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

What kind of engine is in it, and what does the body look like? Your basically saying its a custom made car with nothing from a VW beetle left?

• Advertisement

There's often a Covin or two on Dondeal, might be worth asking the owners how they're registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

There's one on at the moment..

Yeah, he has no knowledge regarding registering etc, unfortunately

I do know of another that is registered as a VW Type3.

Put a call into your local NCTS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

How does it describe the car on the V5? e.g. What's the first registration date of the car?

It's described as a 1970 make "vw", model "saloon", i think it's probably the engine is the big concern if it matches both. Speaking to revenue the body doesn't matter, as long as chassis number matches, but they said that might not be the case any more seeing as NCTS took over in 2010. Then after speaking to NCTS they said the engine number must match.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

stamjoe wrote: »
    It's described as a 1970 make "vw", model "saloon", i think it's probably the engine is the big concern if it matches both. Speaking to revenue the body doesn't matter, as long as chassis number matches, but they said that might not be the case any more seeing as NCTS took over in 2010. Then after speaking to NCTS they said the engine number must match.

Get the engine number changed by the dvla on the V5 then you're all good. there must be a fcaility to do this as engine changes are common.

Advertisement