Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lound noise

Options
  • 11-06-2015 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello. I just wonder what time in ireland in housing estate can someone make loud noises? I have neighbour whos refurbishing his appartment just on top of ours and his making really loud noises, cutting, hammering etc... He starts at 8:00am everyday and i have newborn cant sleep at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I'never experienced lound noises.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

You can't make loud noises before 8am but Lound noises are OK at anytime except 12.05 tk 12.08am

See article 71z of the constitution

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Paniotinas

Uriel. wrote: »
    You can't make loud noises before 8am but Lound noises are OK at anytime except 12.05 tk 12.08am

See article 71z of the constitution

Sorry for bad english

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

You cant beep a car horn unless an emergency from 11pm till 7am, I think, so perhaps the same?
    Before going checking the legalities have you had a chat with the neighbor?

Balmed Out wrote: »
    You cant beep a car horn unless an emergency from 11pm till 7am, I think, so perhaps the same?
    Before going checking the legalities have you had a chat with the neighbor?

I want to find out those hours first. Because these are only workers. But the noise is so loud that we cant even talk to my gf in our room. We barely can hear each other

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Start jackhammering your ceiling OP. that'll put manners on em.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

8am to 11pm are typically the hours outside which the council will take action. Apartment blocks are different though and have their own house rules about what kind of noise you can make and when. Check those rules to see what they say.

May also be no harm going up and having a chat to him - find out how much longer he's going to be at it, can he start an hour later, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

No loud riding either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Noise/CommercialConstruction/

The first step should always be to go talk to the person causing the racket, or rather, the person organising the works on the house. Explain your situation and that it's causing you stress and see if you can come to some sort of arrangement. Bear in mind that if you try to limit their periods of making a racket too much, their works will go on longer!

In terms of construction work, it does appear that there are no restrictions on the time that construction work (and consequent noise) can take place. Presumably due to roadworks and work on other public amenities sometimes being required for night-time to prevent delays during work hours and rush hours.

If the worst comes to it, and you -can-, (of course this might not be a reasonable solution for you at all), perhaps see about staying with family elsewhere for the worst of it? To some extent, we all go through periods of needing to create more noise (refurbishments, extensions, etc.) and we just have to extend some leeway so that we get extended the same courtesy when we do it ourselves. It is particularly unfortunate when you have a small baby or small kids and it really is causing you extra stress though.

Good luck! Worst case scenario, it shouldn't be going on much more than a couple of weeks.

Edit: I did miss first time around that it was an apartment building. That should have rather different rules. If it's all rented, talk to the landlord too. If bought, then yeah, you need to speak to the person up above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Follow builders home and then start jack hammering their walls or missus whichever comes 1st.

Thatnks to all of you. I'll go have a chat now. Can't stand it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Having sex before marriage? That's far worse than any noise your neighbour could make.

Advertisement