Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Service for the unemployed

Options
  • 10-06-2015 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Most countries only provide financial support for unemployed people. There are few resources offered which get people out of their house and in a proactive frame of mind. Studies show that unemployment can put a person under great stress and even lead to depression from the tedium of everyday life. Myself and two colleagues have decided to make a community based outreach programme with a heavy digital focus which draws young educated or skilled unemployed people into regimented groups throughout the week. These days will focus on discussing ideas/ startups, listening to guest lectures from many different areas of industry, and many other activities, tours etc. Most importantly these days will get people out of their homes and give them something to do! It will also help prevent "ring rust" when one does eventually get a job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,761 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, that sounds like a JobClub - FAS (whatever they're called now) run then already.

How are yours going to be funded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Good for You OP.

Anyone willing to try to help others is on the right track in life.

Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sounds like a "digital" men's shed. Anything that helps keep a persons sanity and dignity is a good idea and worth doing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Most countries only provide financial support for unemployed people.

This is simply not the case, does some serious research.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Webelevate run several digital courses for the unemployed. I think if you're based near a city and look around, you will find plenty of help there if you want it. I got offered lots of help when I was on the dole and I took most of it.

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »
    Webelevate run several digital courses for the unemployed. I think if you're based near a city and look around, you will find plenty of help there if you want it. I got offered lots of help when I was on the dole and I took most of it.

Webelevate are terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,761 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Webelevate are terrible.

Can you give us some personal evidence ("I did it and experienced XYZ ..").

Not good to just throw negatives around with backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Webelevate are terrible.

They may well be, I can say that the Springboard course I did was probably terrible too, but it did lead to a pensionable and secure job that I love.

Advertisement