Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Pay For Extra Responsibilities

Options
  • 10-06-2015 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

I started my job over 3 years ago as a Job Bridge intern in an IT capacity (the running of an e-Commerce site – marketing, SEO, maintenance etc). At the time there was a full time employee managing the warehouse and another person in a full time role similar to mine.

Fast forward a couple of years I now find myself managing the warehouse as the previous guy left the company suddenly and I pretty much fell into the role. The other IT person is also gone and I've discovered will not be replaced; so it is now only me and the boss here full time.

The warehouse is now my full time job, but I am also expected to cover some of the previous IT duties; which the last guy would never have had to do.

I have never received a raise and am coming out with very slightly over €400 a week after tax. I feel like I should be entitled to more but the previous guy had extreme difficulty in trying to get a raise and I am really not sure what level of pay is fair for the job I do along with the extra responsibilities. I also find it difficult to broach an awkward topic such as pay as it is just the boss and I in the office and it isn’t the most professional atmosphere.

Can anyone give any input into what sort of pay would be fair or what I should look for?

Apologies if this is in the incorrect thread! Any advice/input is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

I think it's more about what you can negotiate vs what's fair.
    First question to ask yourself is what would you get elsewhere and what would it cost the boss to replace you.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

You could call his bluff and say you were offered another job....but for a reasonable pay rise you would stay on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

You could call his bluff and say you were offered another job....but for a reasonable pay rise you would stay on.

I would not do this:
    • Once you issue a threat is cannot be retracted.
    • You don't threaten anyone you respect.
    • Boss may say fair enough, take it.
    • Any sense of loyalty is gone.

I would not do this:

Come on are you for real.....?
    Offered a job....doesn't mean you're going out the door, and explain what exactly the threat is?
    He can always say he has decided to stick around, you speak of respect and loyalty, the guy is been taken for a ride.

If I came up to you as my boss and said, listen I've been offered an another job that pays 5% more, but
    I'd like to stay here, could you match it, would you seriously start going on about threats, respect and loyalty.... now remember I'm doing two jobs for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭skallywag

He does have a point here, in that once you play that card they need to be prepared for it to backfire.

Nothing wrong with it if you really do have a plan B and are willing to move of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,463 ✭✭✭✭kippy

villafan wrote: »
    Hi,

I started my job over 3 years ago as a Job Bridge intern in an IT capacity (the running of an e-Commerce site – marketing, SEO, maintenance etc). At the time there was a full time employee managing the warehouse and another person in a full time role similar to mine.

Fast forward a couple of years I now find myself managing the warehouse as the previous guy left the company suddenly and I pretty much fell into the role. The other IT person is also gone and I've discovered will not be replaced; so it is now only me and the boss here full time.

The warehouse is now my full time job, but I am also expected to cover some of the previous IT duties; which the last guy would never have had to do.

I have never received a raise and am coming out with very slightly over €400 a week after tax. I feel like I should be entitled to more but the previous guy had extreme difficulty in trying to get a raise and I am really not sure what level of pay is fair for the job I do along with the extra responsibilities. I also find it difficult to broach an awkward topic such as pay as it is just the boss and I in the office and it isn’t the most professional atmosphere.

Can anyone give any input into what sort of pay would be fair or what I should look for?

Apologies if this is in the incorrect thread! Any advice/input is greatly appreciated!
    Have you any qualifications in any of the areas you work in? How easy would it be to get another job?
    You're gross rate is up on 27-30K I'd assume. Do you get any pension/healthcare/bonus?
    What type of relationship do you have with your boss?
    Have you looks around for jobs that are similiar and noted the pay?
    Sorry, more questions than answers.

I know myself that you'll never get anything if you never ask.
    Write down on paper all of your achivements/improvements you have made over the years, write down all of your duties as you see them and approach your manager and ask that they review your pay. See where it goes from there.
    If you get a flat no, time to ask yourself are there better options else where - they go about looking for a new job.
    The answers to the questions above could skew that advice but that is generally how I would approach it.
    The "I've got a better offer elsewhere" - when you don't is never a good card to play as mentioned.
    Good card to play if you have alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I would not do this:
    Offered a job....doesn't mean you're going out the door, and explain what exactly the threat is?
    He can always say he has decided to stick around, you speak of respect and loyalty, the guy is been taken for a ride.

If I came up to you as my boss and said, listen I've been offered an another job that pays 5% more, but
    I'd like to stay here, could you match it, would you seriously start going on about threats, respect and loyalty.... now remember I'm doing two jobs for you.

On what plannet is saying you've been offered another job and you'll leave if you don't get a raise not a threat !!

Taken for a ride is very subjective, no offence but we've no idea if OP is even worth the salary he's already being paid never mind looking for a raise..

There is no such thing as "fair pay" in private enterprise, it will be a balance between what you can ask for based on your skill/usefulness to the company and what the business is willing to/can afford to pay..

If OP feels like their contribution is worth more pay then you should build a case that you can present to your manager demonstrating incidents where your specific contribution is worth more pay..

Its not a matter of rocking up to the boss man and putting a gun to his head saying give me more "or else"..

Some posts here show a serious sense of entitlement and immaturity regarding how business works.

_Brian wrote: »
    On what plannet is saying you've been offered another job and you'll leave if you don't get a raise not a threat !!

Taken for a ride is very subjective, no offence but we've no idea if OP is even worth the salary he's already being paid never mind looking for a raise..

There is no such thing as "fair pay" in private enterprise, it will be a balance between what you can ask for based on your skill/usefulness to the company and what the business is willing to/can afford to pay..

If OP feels like their contribution is worth more pay then you should build a case that you can present to your manager demonstrating incidents where your specific contribution is worth more pay..

Its not a matter of rocking up to the boss man and putting a gun to his head saying give me more "or else"..

Some posts here show a serious sense of entitlement and immaturity regarding how business works.

Your first sentence doesn't even read right...... of course the op should feel entitled, after all he is doing two jobs ... I never mentioned to threaten to leave his job, I did say to 'let-on' he had another job offer.
    You should calm down a bit, your own post is very immature sounding, are you 12 or something?
    "Rocking up to the boss man"

skallywag wrote: »
    He does have a point here, in that once you play that card they need to be prepared for it to backfire.

Nothing wrong with it if you really do have a plan B and are willing to move of course.

Doesn't anyone see the op has an advantage here...no?
    He is carrying out the duties of 2 employees, any employer with sense would see this employees worth.

Your first sentence doesn't even read right...... of course the op should feel entitled, after all he is doing two jobs ... I never mentioned to threaten to leave his job, I did say to 'let-on' he had another job offer.
    You should calm down a bit, your own post is very immature sounding, are you 12 or something?

Essentially the OP isn't really in a position to advise he has another job offer when he hasn't.
    He'd need to be able to follow though with the thread of leaving and it doesn't leave him in good position.

As said above if you think you deserve to be paid more you have to put forward a case for getting paid more. This usually begins with documenting your achievements, your duties, and anything you've done towards efficiencies/cost savings for the organisation.
    It'd be good to have had some research done as to pay levels for similiar roles and skill levels also.
    Approach the boss, put the case for a payrise to him and if nothing comes of it or you are unhappy with the response, then make a decision on whether to start looking for a new job.

Starting out with the "i've a offer of employment from x for y" when you don't isn't a safe position to be in unless you actually have an offer.

• Advertisement

He is carrying out the duties of 2 employees, any employer with sense would see this employees worth.

It should be fairly easy to document what I have mentioned above then and put a clear case together for a payrise if that is the case.
    There is a perceived advantage for the OP here, however at the same time the live register is still overflowing with good people who are eager to work and it's totally down to the employer as to how they handle the request.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

great, a grammer nazi :rolleyes:

Best of luck op...I'm off this thread, some amount of flappers here.

_Brian wrote: »
    great, a grammer nazi :rolleyes:

Not really, but your post reeks of a over-excited keyboard warrior, be calm and post sensibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

You need to start mapping out your future career. Where do you want to be in 5 years time, what do you need to do to get there? Are you developing at all in this job, is it in a sensible direction?

If it's a database warehouse that you're managing then depending on your location you should be able to find other opportunities with better pay and prospects. If it's a physical warehouse where you're managing goods in an out then it might be a little harder and you should think about which direction you want to go in your career.

Before approaching your boss I'd be careful to find out what the market rate is for your skills. Also if you have any access to the financials of the company this may inform your approach too (both in terms of your demands and your future career).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The employer paying one salary for two jobs. The employer action make perfect sense in the short term. The employee is getting loads of experience, the trick is then to leverage it bay getting a raise or moving to a better job. Few places reward loyalty these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Had the same problem not long ago. Doing so much stuff while other people supposed to be doing the same work and not while also being paid more than myself with me picking up the slack in a lot of areas.

I went to the boss with a detailed list of everything I do and sold myself and asked to be brought up in line with the other staff.

He talked to the main man and I had a meeting and was refused a very tiny raise. 1K.

So I got my job description wrote everything out I'm doing I'm not being paid for and said I will not be taking on any of these responsibilities anymore.

They passed on everything else to other staff. Put everyone under pressure. 2 people have left because of this putting extra stress on 2 other staff. The place is in bits. I'm not saying I'm a magical worker or I'm great or anything but I know if they just gave me the 1000 euros a year, everything would be manageable.

Jokers. No problem wasting money on crap they don't need though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Things done for free are often seen as of no value. The trick is not to do the work, or refuse it, ( it can be tricky to do this though without making yourself look bad) but to get paid more for doing it. (if you are able).

Advertisement