Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish broadband for online play

• 10-06-2015 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Sup errybody,

Been trying to sort out internet for my new place, and unfortunately UPC isn't available where I live. Pure telecom said that they can do up to 30 mb and a min of 10/15mb where I live and that will improve over time. I'm signing up for their 100mb 18 month contract and don't want to sign up if those speeds will be useless.

Does anyone know if that'll be of any use for playing SF online? Only reason i'm getting net tbh.

Any input appreciated I have no idea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Irish Broadband are and have been awful for ages. Go with eircom or one of their re-sellers, BT, Vodafone or Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

Don't know anything about "Irish Broadband" but I'd imagine you've looked at other options so maybe this will be of some use to you man:

From my own personal experience, digiweb, if your are getting the 'line of sight' broadband are very good.
    We had a constant 30mb connection with 100gb cap (upload and download) for 9months @30euro pm for the first 3 then 45euro pm there after. Never a problem with it an we were 5 pretty internet hungry students.

I would stay away from Magnet if you are considering them though.
    They have (or atleast had 1.5yrs ago when I was last with them) a policy to restrict certain services at peak times.
    It was a real pain and I wouldn't go with them again.

Had Eircom for the last 1.5yrs and they are fine. Router they supplied is bog but apart from that I've never had a problem with their service or price.

Vodafone are also good. Have them in my parents home and the connection is very good, good price and their supplied router is a better standard than Eircom's, atleast in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Since no upc - the rest will all be roughly the same in terms of speed as they will all have contention ratio problems at peak times. Tbh the speeds you are quoting will be ok for SF - especially if you are the only one using it on a direct wired connection

Don't go with eircom - either on principal or just cause they block sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

ayjayirl wrote: »
    Since no upc - the rest will all be roughly the same in terms of speed as they will all have contention ratio problems at peak times. Tbh the speeds you are quoting will be ok for SF - especially if you are the only one using it on a direct wired connection

Don't go with eircom - either on principal or just cause they block sites.

Eircom have one to one contention as far as I'm aware. I'm with them and have no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Eircom have one to one contention as far as I'm aware. I'm with them and have no issues.

Its not. It tries to approximate it but it is shared.

My biggest bone of contention with eircom is them restricting access to internet sites. Not an ISP's place imho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement