Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance for young driver!

Options
  • 10-06-2015 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello, i was just wondering, where i could get the cheapest insurance for my car, clio 1.2 2001. I've provisional license so i will get insured under my parents name, what companies offer the cheapest quotes?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Just ring every insurance company / broker you can find. Nobody knows which will be the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Different companies offer different quotes for different drivers. (i.e. a learner driver in Dublin may be paying more with insurer X than a learner driver in Cork who is insured with insurer Y)

For myself, I found Liberty to give the cheapest quotes online and then FBD would match them or do better.

And AFAIK, its illegal to do what you are planning on doing. Its called "fronting" and insurance companies are quick to cop on to it. If your parents both have their own cars and now one of them want to insure a Renault Clio with you as a named driver, they'll quickly realise.
    Best thing for you to do is take out your own policy and add your parents as named drivers (if they have a clean licence for a number of years).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

it's not illegal but entails lieing about the use of the car and the Ins Co don't like it!

Premiums nowadays are based on the highest risk often now and there is little advantage.

it's not illegal but entails lieing about the use of the car and the Ins Co don't like it!

Premiums nowadays are based on the highest risk often now and there is little advantage.

I was told elsewhere that it was illegal but I couldnt see why.

Last year I went to buy a Corolla and have my father as the main driver and have myself added as a named driver. Insurance company quickly told me that he cant have two policies, so the quote came back at around €5k!
    Changed the details to having myself as the main driver and my parents as named drivers, and the quote was still the same.

Basically, the OP would be better to start it in his own name if he is going for insurance. It'll start to build up his NCB too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Kryspek wrote: »
    Hello, i was just wondering, where i could get the cheapest insurance for my car, clio 1.2 2001. I've provisional license so i will get insured under my parents name, what companies offer the cheapest quotes?

You're expecting the insurance company to believe that your parents suddenly decided to buy a 14 year old Clio and that you will be an 'occasional' driver of that car???

See the post immediately above this for a reality check.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    You're expecting the insurance company to believe that your parents suddenly decided to buy a 14 year old Clio and that you will be an 'occasional' driver of that car???

See the post immediately above this for a reality check.

Thats the line I was looking for :p But yes they will cop on straight away and they wont be keen on giving any discount then after.

Anyhow, as it is a 1.2 Clio, I cant imagine it being any more than €2750 tpft.
    (Thats if the added drivers have full, clean licences for a number of years)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

It is illegal. Its non-disclosure, an axiom of insurance and potentially voids you policy. The primary user of the car must be that, the primary user or person that uses the car the most and insurance circles that's the policy holder and mostly likely the owner.

Insurance companies are fully aware of this and load based on the highest risk on the policy so there is no saving to be had. Anyway, its false economy as a few years of your own policy will stand to you far more than named experience. I wasn't in the position to have my own policy for a few years and looking back, I would have saved a fortune if I did.

Bite the bullet and get your own policy is my advice :)

Any chance that you could get insured on your parents car for a year?

I've done this and within that year I got my full licence, a years experience driving and Im a year older - which meant the €5,300 for my insurance last year is only €2,000 this year (this is on a 2002 Toyota Corolla 1.4vvti)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thats the line I was looking for :p But yes they will cop on straight away and they wont be keen on giving any discount then after.

Anyhow, as it is a 1.2 Clio, I cant imagine it being any more than €2750 tpft.
    (Thats if the added drivers have full, clean licences for a number of years)

Feedback on other threads on this topic says that the premium will be based on the highest risk driver so the OP may as well start to build up an NCB and take out a policy in his own name.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

<snip>Insurance company quickly told me that he cant have two policies, </snip>
    Well that bit is nonsense!

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    Well that bit is nonsense!

Well, he could have two policies. He currently has a commercial vehicle and so has his NCB built up on that. If he were to buy a car in the morning then it would be as if he was starting off fresh. His NCB would be gone as he is now starting a motor/passenger vehicle policy. Very confusing to explain but its what we have been told by numerous insurers!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Well, he could have two policies. He currently has a commercial vehicle and so has his NCB built up on that. If he were to buy a car in the morning then it would be as if he was starting off fresh. His NCB would be gone as he is now starting a motor/passenger vehicle policy. Very confusing to explain but its what we have been told by numerous insurers!
    Or put simply: you can have as many policies as you like but only one policy per vehicle and each policy with its own NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Wellgelxx

Kryspek wrote: »

Hi was just wondering have you found any insurance company or have you set up a policy in your parents name? I'm in the same situation as yourself , I've a learner permit, I'm 18, have a 01 Peugeot 1.1. I was thinking about setting up a policy in my mothers name, but afraid after reading this forum! I still have to ring aviva and ask them as they have a good deal of €500 for 12 lessons 6 months free accompanied driving and I could put myself as a named driver. Boxymo I have found to be the cheapest but you are limited with your driving, can only do certain KM every 9 months. Everywhere else have outrageously high prices of 4 grand. If you could reply it would be great, thanks!

Advertisement