Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics and Sociology??

Options
  • 10-06-2015 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Looking to take this course next year, but wanted to get a better insight of what it involoves. Anyone doing the course able to help me out? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

darraghq52 wrote: »
    Looking to take this course next year, but wanted to get a better insight of what it involoves. Anyone doing the course able to help me out? :)

Doing the course, ask away... :P
    In 3rd Year now..

• Registered Users Posts: 18 darraghq52

Doing the course, ask away... :P
    In 3rd Year now..

Would you be able to give me an overview of the course, what the ratio of economics to sociology, what the sociology involves, what are the hours and most importantly is there much match involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Sorry for delay, lot of rushing these last few days moving back to Ireland from Venice (all part of the course :P)

I'll give a brief summary for now but if you want me to go into more detail just ask. Wish I had asked someone what courses were like before I attended them.. :P

Ratio of Sociology to Economics would be 3:2 I think, with dominance going to Sociology. Sociology being simply the study of society and how it reacts with itself, the modules covered as part of it vary between modern day sociology, how sociology is today, what we do, how we react to different stimuli and what are considered to be social norms and what is socially acceptable/unacceptable.
    Other stuff then would be studying important figures who had a great part in influencing different sociological changes such as Marx, Weber, Durkenheim etc.

Hours are standard enough for a BA course, less than BSc anyway... Usually something like 3 hours a week per module lectures and another hour for a tutorial so approx 20 hours a week. We don't have labs.

I'm going to assume Match is Maths, otherwise I don't understand the question.. :P
    I think there's a module of maths each semester.
    I like Maths but wasn't really good at it, did Pass for LC.
    If you attend tutorials it should be a piece of cake as they're pretty good at explaining it and answer all questions.
    Also for exams it's like pick 4 out of 6 questions so you've a choice on what to concentrate on.
    They've definitely pushed up my QCA :)

Any more questions feel free to ask. Any questions about modules, check out what modules you'll be taking each year and I'll try and clue you in :)

Advertisement