Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 week old Constipation

Options
  • 10-06-2015 6:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Hi. Our 11 week old is very constipated, when he can poo it is very solid. He was breast fed but in the last few days is exclusively bottle fed. He is on Aptamil first milk. The PHN suggested Aptamil comfort, we tried this however we are struggling with the teats on the bottles. We are using Avent bottles. It recommends variable flow but we/he just cannot get used to them. It seems to come out too quickly regardless of which flow we use. This just seems to give him more pains during and immediately after the feed. We have tried the comfort with the number 2 teat but he can't get it from the bottle at all, even if the formula is slightly watered down (7 oz and 6 scoops). I've just been reading the thread about the comfort availability which has me even more confused about what to do! I've heard that Dr Brown bottles are good with this formula but should we really go down the road of changing all of his bottles or could anybody recommend another formula that relieves constipation where we won't need a bottle change? Many thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We used to use an ounce of warm water with a tip of a spoon of brown sugar.
    We used different teats on both kids. One liked nuk narrow teats and the other narrow advent. We were able to use the same bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

My little girl had a few days of that too when she was only a couple of months old.
    I stuck to the same formula (Aptimel 1) and was also using the Agent bottles but with the #1 teat and the flow was fine.
    To ease the constipation I gave her cooled boiled water to drink between feeds and that helped a bit. I also did as Tatranska did with the brown sugar and that helped too.
    My GP suggested a little prune juice too believe it or not. I was a little skeptical about that with her so young but hated to see her so uncomfortable and tried it.
    3ml of unsweetened prune juice on a syringe once a day for two days with the water and sugar and she w as grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Maybe try and stick to the same teat you were using, it's very very difficult for a baby to just change teat like that.

Sugar in water will work because it's a laxative. I think my doctor was a bit irked at people using it a lot before.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

My guy suffered from very early on with constipation. We switched from Aptamil 1 to cow & gate comfort for a couple of weeks, that with cooled boiled water and a tip of brown sugar helped. When we felt he was over the constipation we switched him back to Aptamil 1. The PHN and most docs wont recommend the brown sugar but it definitely works. My little guy would be so stressed and uncomfortable it was awful when i think back to it.

If you do try another comfort formula especially Cow & Gate don't be alarmed by the stinkiest yellow poo's you will ever see :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

I used infant probiotics with my 2 to help with constipation and seems to have worked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement