Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swapping course and colleges

Options
  • 09-06-2015 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey Guys.

Looking for some advice on finance for the next year of college

I sat both the leaving cert and HPAT last year, and was 10 points shy of medicine in August and so I decided to study Biomed in NUIG. I'm originally from Galway and so I lived at home and resat the HPAT. I was also eligible as a HEAR applicant

This year I resat the HPAT, and hoping to go into first year med this september. I contacted the fees office and they said that because I sat HPAT last year and am currently studying a course relevant to Medicine, my fees would be fully covered.

After spending a year in NUI I've realised I really want to move away, it's just the money that's stopping me.

During the last year I only had to pay my student levy of €300 and also got €260 pm from SUSI. Because I was a HEAR applicant I also got a €500 contribution to my expenses.

Just wondering if anyone knows, if I got medicine in UCD this coming September, how much of a grant I would be entitled to and also if I were to take out a student loan for accomodation, how much would I need/ what the requirements would be. I've saved up approx €600 so far and planning to save more this summer.

Am I crazy for wanting to move to Dublin?

Any help/info appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

BBHenry wrote: »
    so I decided to study Biomed in NUIG. I'm originally from Galway and so I lived at home and resat the HPAT. I was also eligible as a HEAR applicant
    hoping to go into first year med this september.

IF you already studied first year of a degree course, you must be entering 2nd year of another degree course to be "eligible" for grant assistance from SUSI.
    how much of a grant I would be entitled to

Grant Assistance is not an entitlement.
    Am I crazy for wanting to move to Dublin?

Any help/info appreciated!

Thanks

Sorry but I can't help you with this, I would think this would be a personal choice for you.
    Although if you were eligible for grant assistance, you may get the non-adjacent rate of maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BBHenry

Sup08 wrote: »
    IF you already studied first year of a degree course, you must be entering 2nd year of another degree course to be "eligible" for grant assistance from SUSI.

Grant Assistance is not an entitlement.

Sorry but I can't help you with this, I would think this would be a personal choice for you.
    Although if you were eligible for grant assistance, you may get the non-adjacent rate of maintenance.

I've already spoken to both SUSI And the fees office. Because I sat HPAT during my leaving cert year and this year, and am studying a course relevant to medicine, I'm eligible to have my fees covered. It's just the maintenance grant I was curious about. Was hoping to find someone in a similar situation that could be of help!

I've already spoken to both SUSI And the fees office. Because I sat HPAT during my leaving cert year and this year, and am studying a course relevant to medicine, I'm eligible to have my fees covered. It's just the maintenance grant I was curious about. Was hoping to find someone in a similar situation that could be of help!

It must be the fees office informing you that the fess maybe covered, as they may be the ones making the exemption. Before you make this decision, I would confirm exactly what is covered, including the student contribution.

You would not be eligible for grant assistance from SUSI unless there has been an exceptional reason that caused you not to complete, drop out or finish the first year or first year exams and you had to repeat the year of the course.
    Ordinarily, you must be progressing in your education to be considered eligible for grant assistance from SUSI, once you meet all other eligibility criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BBHenry

Sup08 wrote: »
    It must be the fees office informing you that the fess maybe covered, as they may be the ones making the exemption. Before you make this decision, I would confirm exactly what is covered, including the student contribution.

You would not be eligible for grant assistance from SUSI unless there has been an exceptional reason that caused you not to complete, drop out or finish the first year or first year exams and you had to repeat the year of the course.
    Ordinarily, you must be progressing in your education to be considered eligible for grant assistance from SUSI, once you meet all other eligibility criteria.

Because I've already done a year of a relevant course I'm entitled to skip premed so the fees office/susi see that as progressing in my education. I studied relevant subjects in the year out and also did placement so it wasn't a waste of time at all and was relevant to studying medicine.

so it wasn't a waste of time at all and was relevant to studying medicine.

I don't see anything in relation to this in my previous post!

• Advertisement
Advertisement