Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teaching

Options
  • 09-06-2015 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

Thinking about doing Masters in Education.

Are there jobs out there.

is it worthwhile doing masters of eduction 2 votes

are there jobs out there
    0%
    did it take long to get full time work
    100%
    RealJohnA Law 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

I don't know if a poll on the internet is an appropriate manner to determine your career choices. Have a look at other threads and look at educationposts.ie. There are more posts than I have ever seen but have a look to see whet kind of contracts they are, if your subject combo is popular and if the jobs are generally in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 louise8910

thanks for speedy reply there.

I have seen a good few jobs advertised but its impossible to tell the stats between jobs available and number of people getting full time work and number of people searching for long time without success.

If any newly qualified teachers could give me any clue would be great.

Also I'm wondering with baby boom shouldn't this profession be at its peak or near to it.

Any advise would be excellent I have searched all the previous threads but looking for current employment status in this sector all other threads are from years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alqua

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057159912 <-- Quite recent and includes information gathered from other threads. There are lots more if you do a search through the forum..

Many of the jobs advertised at the moment are 'earmarked' for people, so to speak, though not all are. There are generally a lot of applicants competing for a limited number of jobs, teachers with experience as well as NQTs.

The shortest advice often given on this forum seems to be: go for it, but only if you really, really (really!) want it - and be prepared to emigrate/be without job security for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 in_the_sky

Honestly I would not recommend it.

After completing a B.A in deemed 'popular and in demand' subjects, an M.A in Irish, PDE (1.1 degree) and an MSc. in Education, I am finding it extremely difficult to find work.

It is ALL about who you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

did it take long to get full time work
    in_the_sky wrote: »
    This is nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

RealJohn wrote: »
    This is nonsense.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

+1. I've got all bar 1 job on merit and that 1 was a short notice sub position!

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

I agree with the above.
    Nonsense to say it's about who you know.
    Not fair to all those who get jobs on their own merit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's about being in the right place, at the right time, with the right subjects and a decent amount of experience. Luck is a very large part of it.

After that, extra qualifications (additional Masters, Ph.D.s etc.) and a stated willingness to get involved in extra curricular might make a difference in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Given the amount of local GAA players and sons/daughters of staff who started in my school before I left I'd imagine 'pull' has a great deal to do with it in some schools.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Given the amount of local GAA players and sons/daughters of staff who started in my school before I left I'd imagine 'pull' has a great deal to do with it in some schools.

Or have you considered maybe
    1. GAA players have a major extracurricular activity which is an influence on principals plan for school (every interview I've ever done has asked what can I bring to the school)
    2. Children of teachers are likely to have their CV exactly the way the principal wants it, with a good subject combo and relevant extra curricular prominently mentioned.

I'm not saying it never happens but it is likely far less than imagined. I'm a teachers daughter, the only job they've had any influence on me getting was a short term sub because a teacher in their school had a car crash (not majorly serious but was out for a month) and Dad told me to call up with my CV immediately. More of a right place right time than anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Theres not much out there. Just graduated this June.
    Have been lucky enough to have been called for 7 interviews so far but guaranteed most of those jobs were already taken. Got excellent feedback from interviews but was consistently told they went with someone with more experience.
    If you explore the other threads here you'll see its mostly people speaking very negatively about the job situation.
    If teaching is your absolute passion and its all you've ever wanted to do then go for it.
    Just keep in mind, 2 years and over 10k is a lot to go through for possibly no job prospects on the other side.
    What are your subjects?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Or have you considered maybe
    1. GAA players have a major extracurricular activity which is an influence on principals plan for school (every interview I've ever done has asked what can I bring to the school)
    2. Children of teachers are likely to have their CV exactly the way the principal wants it, with a good subject combo and relevant extra curricular prominently mentioned.

I'm not saying it never happens but it is likely far less than imagined. I'm a teachers daughter, the only job they've had any influence on me getting was a short term sub because a teacher in their school had a car crash (not majorly serious but was out for a month) and Dad told me to call up with my CV immediately. More of a right place right time than anything else

Both my parents were teachers and it did me no good. I ended up with a job in a whole different part of Ireland.

Honestly I would not recommend it.

After completing a B.A in deemed 'popular and in demand' subjects, an M.A in Irish, PDE (1.1 degree) and an MSc. in Education, I am finding it extremely difficult to find work.

You won't find work if there are no jobs out there. It's as simple as that. Just deal with it; either do what we all did and stick it out until you get a job, or give up. The attitude you have of "it's who you know" will come across at any interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

katydid wrote: »
    You won't find work if there are no jobs out there. It's as simple as that. Just deal with it; either do what we all did and stick it out until you get a job, or give up. The attitude you have of "it's who you know" will come across at any interview.

Alternatively, if you do believe it's who you know then just start getting to know people and networking (start with family and friends first!).

I do believe there's a little bit of who you know... but that's becoming less and less with more qualified/experienced candidates to chose from.
    From my personal experiences it's not so much 'who you know' who gets you the job, it's who you know that will position and prep. you for an interview (as much as any friend would).

Case in point, a teacher with a fairly unique subject combo and extra curricular skillset was leaving his job in the school and I heard him mention that the school was specifically looking for x,y,z and would probably find it tricky to get someone. So I rang someone I knew who told me they were on the lookout before.
    If the guy had gone for interview he might have flunked it anyway, I just got to the stage of telling him to send in his CV and told him about the school, the rest was up to him.
    In the end the person didn't leave but I think you get the point about 'positioning' and networking. I knew he was on the lookout, I knew his skillset, i told him what the school would be looking for (and I knew he would have been a good fit!). Maybe the school might have reached him through advertising anyway but at least he was forewarned about everything he needed to know about his role and geared himself up for that.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Alternatively, if you do believe it's who you know then just start getting to know people and networking (start with family and friends first!).

I do believe there's a little bit of who you know... but that's becoming less and less with more qualified/experienced candidates to chose from.
    From my personal experiences it's not so much 'who you know' who gets you the job, it's who you know that will position and prep. you for an interview (as much as any friend would).

Case in point, a teacher with a fairly unique subject combo and extra curricular skillset was leaving his job in the school and I heard him mention that the school was specifically looking for x,y,z and would probably find it tricky to get someone. So I rang someone I knew who told me they were on the lookout before.
    If the guy had gone for interview he might have flunked it anyway, I just got to the stage of telling him to send in his CV and told him about the school, the rest was up to him.
    In the end the person didn't leave but I think you get the point about 'positioning' and networking. I knew he was on the lookout, I knew his skillset, i told him what the school would be looking for (and I knew he would have been a good fit!). Maybe the school might have reached him through advertising anyway but at least he was forewarned about everything he needed to know about his role and geared himself up for that.

To be honest, in my own experience, and from what I see from younger colleagues now, the most important thing that differentiates you from others is being known by the school. If you get your foot in the door on part time hours, if work comes up and they are happy with you, you can inch your way slowly to something more permanent.

Mind you, that's a recipe for exploitation as well, as it makes part time teachers willing to do anything to keep in with the principal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

To be honest, in my own experience, and from what I see from younger colleagues now, the most important thing that differentiates you from others is being known by the school. If you get your foot in the door on part time hours, if work comes up and they are happy with you, you can inch your way slowly to something more permanent.

Mind you, that's a recipe for exploitation as well, as it makes part time teachers willing to do anything to keep in with the principal.

Ya I spse its a bit of everything with a dash of luck on the side! I think though putting your name out there in terms of networking might help make you a bit luckier too! Just a thought, (i didn't get my job through networking though.. ).

To be honest, in my own experience, and from what I see from younger colleagues now, the most important thing that differentiates you from others is being known by the school.

Case in point...

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭clunked

Simplistic answer. If you are just bitter, you will never get a job.

Case in point...

Different from what was being suggested - that it's parents or being in the GAA that gets you jobs. It's doing a good job and getting credit for it.

• Advertisement

katydid, not everyones Mammy and Daddy are available to give their daughter a nudge in the right direction ;)

katydid, not everyones Mammy and Daddy are available to give their daughter a nudge in the right direction ;)

Nope, which is why they need to inform themselves about any career choices...

Advertisement