Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Trouble

Options
  • 09-06-2015 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hello All

I hope this post in the correct place - if not, mod please move to appropriate.

I recently got a springer and have begun training him, around 9-10 months old. All is going well; he is responding very positively and coming along nicely.

Had him a few weeks and one day he got a severe dose of the s****ts - can't put it any other way, sorry. I thought he had eaten something as he has a severe obsession for eating other dogs crap. I also noticed his pen was constantly full of crap each day and he was gaining no weight, despite savaging his food.

It settled down but happened a few weeks later. Again sorry for the graphic description but this is like slurry coming from him. I also noticed he had developed red & sticky eyes.

I took him to the vet who said it is was food intolerance and recommended a sensitive food - Burns sensitive to be precise. The red eyes & red inside areas of the ears were also another indicator for the vet to suggest food intolerance.Two weeks on and the dog improved greatly, less frequent and normal toilet behaviour, and a noticeable increase in size and weight.

All great I thought until yesterday morning when I was greeted with pure slurry again - almost worse than before!

He is mad to eat grass, other dogs s***te, stones, basically anything he can get hold of which makes me think he is lacking something (hopefully not intelligence :)

He is fully vaccinated, wormed etc

Anybody with similar experiences/thoughts? All help greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The ears , eyes etc are definitely signs of intolerance. Change the food to another sensitive mix, try fish and rice or any other version with rice.
    Ensure he is definitely not getting anything else especially flour and yeast products, so bread and human biscuit are out.
    Are you exercising him daily? This helps with regular bowel movements. Ensure clean fresh water, if you won't drink it don't give it to him and watch out for slug and snails getting into his food bowl.
    I have a non hunter breed that is renowned for sensitive stomachs so if it's only this problem there's a bit of trial and error to go through for suitable diet

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

what food are you feeding.try raw and rice for awhile see does it stop.what lines is the dog.some lines are knowing for stomach problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Thedeerstalker

allan450 wrote: »
    what food are you feeding.try raw and rice for awhile see does it stop.what lines is the dog.some lines are knowing for stomach problems.

Good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Michelle_b

try mix rice along with a sensitive food dry food brand. I was recommended rice. My dog has poor immune system and when ever her tummy isn't good or diarrhea they told me rice and even some cooked chicken a few pieces. It helps her a lot. Try to keep her away from eating things grass no prob but other random stuff try keep her on lead and pull her away. Make sure she is hydrated too with diarrhea lots of water

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

We recently got a German shepherd x husky pup and she similarly got a very sick stomach after I stupidly fed a cheaper food. The only thing to cure an upset tummy in dogs is plain chicken and rice for 48hrs I then fed salmon and rice until a new bag of food showed up im now feeding champion grain free Turkey and rice. Now her "mess" is smaller and her coat is coming on great. But it's about 50 euro for 12kg. Only thing I can say is the nuts are small so our small dogs can eat it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

Thanks for all the replies.

He gets plenty of exercise. When I am not outside he is on a zip wire so he can run to his heart’s content. When I'm outside he is off the lead and he also gets walked daily on a lead. He drinks the same water that I drink and its replaced daily. His enclosure has a concrete floor so no snail invasion in the food area. However my lawn area outside had a big slug & snail population. I notice it when I cut the grass, especially in late evening.

Are these a problem if ingested - I haven't noticed his eating them tho! Following some research and I found many UK posters recommending a brand called 'chappy' containing rice & fish or chicken only. Anybody used this? The food I am using, which was recommended by the vet is Burns sensitive which states that it contains potato & pork only.

What does Raw & Rice mean? Is this making my own food for the dog with rice & something else?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

snails when ingested by dogs are lethal.They carry a serious amount of bacteria.I suggest what you until the dogs stomach is right.iv had this problem before regards a boxer pup.until the problem clears feed chicken raw or lightly boiled for 10 mins.feed a 1/4 of the chicken morning and evening with rice.so a chicken will last 2 days buy enough for 2 weeks and see how it goes.Can take awhile to get right im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Another boxer owner here and similarly, when we first got him he was massively underweight (rescue animal), stool was loose and that gunk was present on his lad.

We shifted him to rice and boiled chicken for a week and then started on various dog foods in small amounts.

The cheaper supermarket brands didn't work for him at all, and we eventually settled on James Wellbeloved - these days he gets that twice a day along with 1/4-1/3 of a tin of Mackerel or Sardines. He's got a healthy weight on now, a fantastic coat, firm stools and no gunk; but it did take us about 6-7 weeks to get it right.

When we were trying to get the weight onto him coconut oil on a rope toy as a treat, and a bit extra in his food worked very well. He's only just showing the last 3 ribs now, whereas when we got him he was a skeleton, so he doesn't get that anymore but it worked well at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

My lad is a Bassett and last year suffered back trouble that can be associated with the breed. The medication was hard on his stomach but was necessary so he was also put on a diet of boiled chicken and rice as recommended by the vet. We had being using the same remedy for previous bouts of 'sensitive stomach issues' as advised by a long term Bassett owner. By the by this is the sort of food recommended to patients with gastrointestinal problems or slow digestion due to illness or age as it is easier to digest and does not over stimulate the digestive system.
    We used Welbourne then Purena (salmon and rice) and now use Field and Trail. The original food was too expensive and we only changed recently to the Field and Trail due to its availability
    When the dog is in good condition we add in a small pouch of wet dog with no issues. This produces firm stools with no issues.
    Be careful of certain non dog foods such as bacon, ham, sausages as they contain high amount of salt which is hard on a dog's system and can do damage.
    Lastly , sorry about long post, if the dog is running free in the garden make sure that it is not grazing on some toxic plant or coming into contact with chemicals etc which is causing a reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

I used to have similar problems with my dog, but thankfully have not had any issues for quite some time now.

As some of the others have suggested, a little boiled rice and chicken is a good bet to help settle your dog down. However, be careful, if you feed your dog this for more than a couple of days, you may then struggle to get your dog back onto traditional dog food. There is a canned version of Royal Cainin for sensitive stomachs might also be worth a try, we got it from the vet.

Obviously, let him eat the grass as he wishes, as long as your satisfied there's nothing else there and it hasn't been sprayed etc.

Like others here, our vet recommended a specific dog food but the stuff was very expensive so over time, I did some research and ultimately moved through one of the Royal Canin dry foods and then over to Red Mills Leader brand, which has caused no problem whatsoever and because it's dry food, is a little easier to clean up. I give my guy approx 60% of the daily recommended portion of Leader food, coupled with a tray of Naturediet (usually rice and chicken, or salmon) which has been working well and keeps him interested given the mix of flavours. Obviously, the amount will differ, depending on the size of your dog etc.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

The snails can cause heart worm, if he is after eating any you should get the Vet to vaccinate against it as normal vaccinations won't cover this.

Advertisement