Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sudden turn in 3 year olds foot.

Options
  • 09-06-2015 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

My 3 year old who is very lively fast and curious ( ie a nutter) has suddenly started to walk with his right foot turned in and looks kinda shakey.
    He was with his dad from Friday morning until today ( Tuesday).
    He was fine going, on Sunday I got a text from my ex asking me if he had been limping, he hadn't been, so he took him to the doctor yesterday.
    He was told it's something he has since birth, that one leg is shorter than the other and he has in-toeing.
    My problem with this diagnosis is he has never ever walked like this, he's never limped and has never had trouble running. He's sitting most of the time outside today and I know he would usually be running like a mad thing.So,
    Should I wait for the orthopaedic consultant appointment ( which could be months), or should I take him to a&e? has anyone any experience of this and does it happen as suddenly as this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

cbyrd wrote: »
    My 3 year old who is very lively fast and curious ( ie a nutter) has suddenly started to walk with his right foot turned in and looks kinda shakey.
    He was with his dad from Friday morning until today ( Tuesday).
    He was fine going, on Sunday I got a text from my ex asking me if he had been limping, he hadn't been, so he took him to the doctor yesterday.
    He was told it's something he has since birth, that one leg is shorter than the other and he has in-toeing.
    My problem with this diagnosis is he has never ever walked like this, he's never limped and has never had trouble running. He's sitting most of the time outside today and I know he would usually be running like a mad thing.So,
    Should I wait for the orthopaedic consultant appointment ( which could be months), or should I take him to a&e? has anyone any experience of this and does it happen as suddenly as this?

Not offering any medical advice, but I'd want a second opinion asap, especially if the gp your son saw has never seen him before! Would you consider your own GP?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Did you switch shoe brand?
    I never had an issue with clarks shoes but start rite caused me to turn my foot in as a child .
    My kids are similar different types of shoes suit them,the child who takes a 7h is best in startrite but the 7e can't walk in them properly despite being fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

It's not really a shoe issue, more that I think he's injured because it was so sudden but then I don't know if this is how this condition starts, this is kind of the first time he's been at the doctor since he was a baby, he's a really good doctor, it's just I wasn't there so I don't know what really happened..
    I'm positive that I have never seen this with him. I imagine it would have been a problem before now if he's had it from birth. It's the fact that he's sending him to see a consultant without an xray to rule out any other injuries is confusing me. But with no knowledge of the condition I don't want to jump the gun.
    I'm can't really afford E100 to get the same answer. But if its not in-turning then he needs to be fixed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Go to doc and ask for letter for a&e you don't pay the 100 in a&e if you have doctors note

God, I never though of that January, thanks!
    I'd still like to know more about this if anyone has any more experience.

• Advertisement

Spent 6 hours in a&e today, he got his ankle foot and hips xrayed. Nothing obvious on the xray but they said his bones are still so tiny that it'll need to be read by the radiologist.

Back in the morning to see the orthopaedic consultant in the fracture clinic, and maybe some scanning on his hip.
    Hopefully it's nothing serious as I was told with in-toeing at his age could need surgery to correct it, younger toddlers can be corrected by wearing their shoes on the wrong feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

cbyrd wrote: »
    Spent 6 hours in a&e today, he got his ankle foot and hips xrayed. Nothing obvious on the xray but they said his bones are still so tiny that it'll need to be read by the radiologist.

Back in the morning to see the orthopaedic consultant in the fracture clinic, and maybe some scanning on his hip.
    Hopefully it's nothing serious as I was told with in-toeing at his age could need surgery to correct it, younger toddlers can be corrected by wearing their shoes on the wrong feet!

At least you're on the road to an answer rather than waiting for that referral. Fingers crossed tomorrow will bring good news

Advertisement