Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU from South Dublin

Options
  • 09-06-2015 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,
    After a year studying in a different city, Im considering coming home to Dublin and studying a similar, yet im my opinion better course in DCU. However, im currently very stressed about commuting and some other things too.Any sort of help/advice/anecdotes would be very useful!

I will be commuting from Dublin 6W and so will probably get the number 9 bus from The Kimmage Crossroads. Im guessing that it will take at least an hour to get to DCU in the mornings.

After living away for a year, im kind of scared about coming back to Dublin as i feel as if ive lost contact with many of my friends, most of whom didint treat me very well in the first place. Pretty much everyone I know that has stayed in Dublin for college has kept the exact same group of friends from school, and I dont have that anymore.

However, I really,really want a new group of friends to meet up/go out with if I go to college here, but Im scared that it will be way harder for me to do that if i commute every day, and the idea of someone from Dublin getting campus accommodation/ housing beside the college is probably ridiculous.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, honestly any sort of advice would be of help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

What part of south dublin you from and do you drive or have access to a car?

• Company Representative Posts: 31 Verified rep DCU Student Help

Hi Angelinab,

Great to hear from you, let us try help you a bit here.

There are a couple of buses that will drop you straight outside coming from your area depending on where your located exactly- The 9/16/11(among others) will all take you here. Regarding how long it will take will vary, at peak morning or evening times it could be anywhere from 40-60 minutes, again depending on your exact location. Can I ask what course your interested in? (I might be able to give you an indication of a contact hours you will be on campus for i.e Some courses have much less hours than others).

You will have no problem making friends at all here in DCU. If you would like to talk directly on the phone or by email feel free to look up our email address (Click on our name to the left to see "About me" section) and give us a shout here directly (It wont let me directly post our email address here).

Look forward to hearing from you and helping you out as best we can.

Talk soon,
    Jonny

Hi Angelinab,

There are a couple of buses that will drop you straight outside coming from your area depending on where your located exactly- The 9/16/11(among others) will all take you here. Regarding how long it will take will vary, at peak morning or evening times it could be anywhere from 40-60 minutes, again depending on your exact location. Can I ask what course your interested in? (I might be able to give you an indication of a contact hours you will be on campus for i.e Some courses have much less hours than others).

You will have no problem making friends at all here in DCU. If you would like to talk directly on the phone or by email feel free to look up our email address (Click on our name to the left - "View public profile" -> "About me" section) and give us a shout here directly (It wont let me directly post our email address here).

Talk soon,
    Jonny

• Registered Users Posts: 28 angelinab

Hi Angelinab,

You will have no problem making friends at all here in DCU. If you would like to talk directly on the phone or by email feel free to look up our email address (Click on our name to the left to see "About me" section) and give us a shout here directly (It wont let me directly post our email address here).

Talk soon,
    Jonny

Thanks for the relpy!
    The course is Applied languages and translation studies.

bs2014 wrote: »
    What part of south dublin you from and do you drive or have access to a car?

Im from around templeogue/ terenure, and ill be commuing from the kimmage crossroads.

Unfortunately, i dont drive and im only doing my theory test this summer

• Advertisement

Angelinab,

Public transport, in comparison to driving or cycling, can be very productive and beneficial too. Don't forget Dublin bus have free WIFI so although some of your time might be consumed on a bus coming across you can make it productive by getting assignments, study or emails etc done. The 9 and the 16 which are local to there will bring you directly across. There are also plenty of facilities on campus (library, students union centre, sports centre etc where you can get work done or wait till a more off peak time to then get the bus). There are live bus timetables on the screens around campus also so you can plan your journey live to make sure your time isn't wasted hanging around too much.

If you would like to contact us directly here in DCU we can direct you further to help you out and put you in touch with the correct people.

Thank and hopefully this helps,

Jonny

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

DCU Student Help, as you are posting in an official capacity I have to ask you to refrain from posting any further until you have obtained a verified rep account from the guys in the office. They can be contacted at reps@boards.ie and I have made them aware that they should be hearing from you.

Please note that further posts without having first obtained a verified rep account will result in a siteban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gerpurcell

angelinab wrote: »
    Hi,
    After a year studying in a different city, Im considering coming home to Dublin and studying a similar, yet im my opinion better course in DCU. However, im currently very stressed about commuting and some other things too.Any sort of help/advice/anecdotes would be very useful!

I will be commuting from Dublin 6W and so will probably get the number 9 bus from The Kimmage Crossroads. Im guessing that it will take at least an hour to get to DCU in the mornings.

After living away for a year, im kind of scared about coming back to Dublin as i feel as if ive lost contact with many of my friends, most of whom didint treat me very well in the first place. Pretty much everyone I know that has stayed in Dublin for college has kept the exact same group of friends from school, and I dont have that anymore.

However, I really,really want a new group of friends to meet up/go out with if I go to college here, but Im scared that it will be way harder for me to do that if i commute every day, and the idea of someone from Dublin getting campus accommodation/ housing beside the college is probably ridiculous.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, honestly any sort of advice would be of help!

Hi, I currently commute to DCU from Tallaght, but being at the KCR the 9 bus is fairly handy. On average it takes me 1h20m to get from DCU to Tallaght, It might take you 50m to get to DCU from KCR which isn't too bad when you are going across the city, in the mornings with lectures at 9am you might have to get an earlier bus.

DCU is a great campus, I'd recommend anyone going there to study. The facilities and lecturers are great and there is always something going on on campus. You won't have any trouble finding friends, as I did knowing no one initially when I arrived first(A lot of people will be in the same position).

Good Luck

gerpurcell wrote: »
    Hi, I currently commute to DCU from Tallaght, but being at the KCR the 9 bus is fairly handy. On average it takes me 1h20m to get from DCU to Tallaght, It might take you 50m to get to DCU from KCR which isn't too bad when you are going across the city, in the mornings with lectures at 9am you might have to get an earlier bus.

DCU is a great campus, I'd recommend anyone going there to study. The facilities and lecturers are great and there is always something going on on campus. You won't have any trouble finding friends, as I did knowing no one initially when I arrived first(A lot of people will be in the same position).

Good Luck

Thanks for the advice!
    Do you find that going out is awkward because you live off campus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gerpurcell

angelinab wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice!
    Do you find that going out is awkward because you live off campus?

Na not really, it's been grand. There's lockers for when you want to drop your stuff during the day or at night which is handy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement