Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolicited Goods

Options
  • 09-06-2015 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭

Hi I recently got a random phone call from a company about goods they offer. I wasn't interested at the time as I had never heard of the company and don't like cold calling. I told the caller that I was not interested and to remove me from their calling list. They gave me their phone number in case I changed my mind. I hung up and never thought anymore about it.

Two weeks later a parcel came for me via courier. I was waiting for a number of unrelated parcels so I signed for it. Turns out it was goods from the company who rang me. I tried ringing the phone number on the enclosed slip (not working). I eventually got through to their office manager who told me that the person who had called me sent parcels out to people that they had not ordered them and that he no longer worked for the company. I asked her to arrange for the goods to be collected, to make a note on my file that these goods were not ordered and to inform accounts of the same and that I was not to be invoiced for the goods. I emailed both the office Manager and Accounts an email saying the same.

A week later I got a invoice, rang them again and was told to ignore it. I requested again that the system be updated.

The goods have been collected by courier.

I have now received four phonecalls in the last two days demanding payment for these goods that I did not order. Is their anything more I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html

Inertia selling
    It is illegal for a trader to demand payment for unsolicited services. Book clubs are a very good example of inertia selling and the most common kind. If a trader sends you an item that you did not order and does not provide for return post, it cannot then try to invoice you for the product or initiate debt collection proceedings against you.

However, if you are contracted to a trader and receive unwanted books or CDs, you should check your contract as it may contain a term that commits you to receiving 4 or 5 items a year. If this is the case, the trader's actions cannot be considered inertia selling. It is therefore very important for you to read the contract carefully before committing yourself to it.

Contact

Competition and Consumer Protection Commission
    PO Box 12585
    Dublin 1
    Ireland
    Opening Hours:- Lines open Monday - Friday 9am - 6pm
    Tel:(01) 402 5500
    Locall:1890 432 432
    Fax:(01) 402 5501
    Homepage: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/
    Homepage: http://www.ccpc.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Hi,

The company actually sell ink cartridges. I have never requested them or signed up for anything. Indeed they do not know the brand of machine I have and the cartridges they sent would not be remotely like the ones I use.

Turns out I am not the only one caught out in the local area with this scam. A few other businesses /homes have been hit.

Advertisement