Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manager gives awkward work to me then hires contractors for easy jobs at high pay

Options
  • 09-06-2015 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi. I work in a job where Manager gives me the out of hours work (when I work alone with no technician doing the more difficult jobs). He won't give me the easy 9-5pm hours with the experienced technician. When he is away he gets contractors hired for this. The owner wanted to get me to do these easy hours but I think the Manager won't go along with it as I would work for less than him doing the same job. The owner offered me a car loan to stay.

I then tried to register with a Contractor Agency who wouldn't hire me for odd days(even though they have hired people with less experience than me). As they had loads of work the only reason they couldn't hire me is a bad reference. The Agency told me to leave my current job and get a full time job elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

What's your bad reference? That's rather critical.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

References can be sidestepped. Can you not just get someone to give you a glowing reference?

And who the hell is the manager to be undermining the actual OWNER of the business?? If I own a business and I want to accommodate an employee's wishes and the manager tries to put the kibosh on it, I'll have his ass out the door post haste.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Moved from AH!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^
    To a certain extent it's a feature of good leadership to not micro-manage your lower managers. That includes giving them the freedom to decide how to use their own staff rather than wading in and over-ruling them. Even if you are the owner.

OP, the owner has offered you an incentive to stay, so you've clearly already had the conversation with him. Have you had the same conversation with your own manager? Perhaps he gives you the crappy work because you've a tendency to go over his head and complain to his boss without talking to him first?

And what's the bad reference about? Why have you got a bad reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jonti

Hi. I work in a job where Manager gives me the out of hours work (when I work alone with no technician doing the more difficult jobs). He won't give me the easy 9-5pm hours with the experienced technician. When he is away he gets contractors hired for this. The owner wanted to get me to do these easy hours but I think the Manager won't go along with it as I would work for less than him doing the same job. The owner offered me a car loan to stay.

I then tried to register with a Contractor Agency who wouldn't hire me for odd days(even though they have hired people with less experience than me). As they had loads of work the only reason they couldn't hire me is a bad reference. The Agency told me to leave my current job and get a full time job elsewhere.

You have the right to see the bad reference that the agency showed you. If the agency does not comply contact NERA or Citizens Advice they will do something about it.
    Or
    Request a meeting with the owner of the company and explain your circumstances and that when you applied to the agency for part-time extra work they told you that you had a bad reference. Ask him/her who in his company wrote the bad reference and that you would like him/her to arrange a meeting with this person to resolve any outstanding issues he/she may have with you and that as the owner of the business you would appreciate if he could be the mediator.

• Advertisement
Advertisement