Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router collet chuck problem

Options
  • 09-06-2015 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Got a problem with my router. The chuck i.e the collet and nut with a router bit are stuck together. Tried everything to seperate them:mad: No luck ....any ideas other than losing a good bit and spending a fortune and embarrassing myself by going into McQuillans and ordering replacement chuck. Was is overtightening that caused it in the first place i wonder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean Farrell

Here is evidence og the offending article...god its now i wish i gave myself a pseudo name for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I picked up a new router in BnQ the other week and first time out the exact same thing happened to me... Although I have the advantage of just bringing it back n getting a refund.. I did spend ages trying to get the bit out though, almost like it had welded itself to the collet..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Sean, no need to panic. Is the bit stuck in the collet ? That looks like a Bosch GOF trim router or am I wrong ?
    In any case screw off the nut - it should come off completely although trapped by the bit. Soak the collet/shaft with WD40 and leave a few hours. If you can't tap off the bit ( under the wings ) get a pliers and grip the bit on the shaft with the cable cutter part and lever off the bit. A dedicated cable cutter is better and you don't damage the carbide on the bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean Farrell

Big thank you to WD40 and a little help from guess who and hey presto problem solved. Yep thats a Bosch GKF600..i got it in a nice package with all the accessories...i have a few routers lying around...but the 600 will do me with the intention of making acrylic templates..it would be easier to handle, saving on plastic too! All my previous templates were mdf....nasty and easily wear out...so now i'm looking into whats the best acrylic to use...thickness wise i think 6mm for template making would be best i think...i'm afraid some plastics might melt with the speed of the bit going thru it. One annoying thing is the 600 wont take the guide bushes from my Bosch POF 1200AE.....the 600 takes a max 13.8 guide bush...irritating when i have every bush higher than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The UK company Trend do a reasonable range or router templates in Acrylic. I don't think you can machine the stuff - even drilling a hole makes it melt unless the speed is kept very low. You will find white polyethylene sheets online and I think that's a better material.
    P.S. Bosch make a really excellent aftermarket base for the GOF 600. I got one and it transforms the router from a laminate trimmer into a more useful router.

• Advertisement
Advertisement