Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bohemian FC bailed out by the taxpayer

Options
  • 08-06-2015 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0608/706656-dalymount-park/

News broke today that Dalymount Park is to be sold to DCC for €3.8m in an arrangement seemingly designed to help the club pay down its substantial debts. The intention is to develop a municipal sport centre, however the emphasis is to remain on soccer.

The question I ask is this a right and fair way for public funds to be spent and could they be put to better use - such as developing pitches and sportsgrounds in the municipal parks? To an outsider like myself this looks like public money being used yet again to bail out a private enterprise (albeit supporter owned).

Surely public money should be spent on facilities that are open to all, not just a ground used predominantly by a professional soccer club?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The ground will be a municipal sports facility and will be used for purposes other than League of Ireland football. You don't have to look far to see the amount of community events that have been hosted in Tallaght Stadium. There is little difference between this and Government grants for GAA stadia or the Aviva, save for the fact that this has more potential for local community use.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Absolutely it's the original home of Irish soccer ,I've zero complaints ,it reminds me of the complaints about tallaght stadium been used soley for soccer even when a local gaa club took legal action demanding that they force the stadium to be used for dual use soccer and gaa .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Bohs sold it for far less than the market value so the stadium would remain as a real piece of Irish history in which football will still be played.

They could have easily held out for a scuzzy developer with a much larger bid so he could turn it into a Tescos and a few apartments with an incredible history buried below it and forgotten.

This is a wonderful development. The turf which graced Pele and just about every player from the Golden Age of Football is safe for future generations.

I can't see how anyone could have a problem with this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Nope, Dalymount is a vital part of Ireland's sporting and social history and heritage that has fallen into an embarrassing state of disrepair.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Forget about bohs for a minute that was our national football stadium of course it should be preserved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

They should knock it and build a decent shopping center and cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

First off - I fvckin' hate Bohs.

That said I'm delighted their future and that of Dalymount Park have been secured.

It's a good day for Irish football.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Presumably DCC will recoup quite a bit on ticket sales and membership fees?

kneemos wrote: »

I'd imagine rent will be nominal. I'm not sure what the situation will be with bars/social memberships, but all proceeds from stadium use would presumably be going to DCC.

There is talk of the stands behind each goal being removed and being used for an extension to St Peter's School at one end and a revamp of the shopping centre at the other. Proceeds from this could go towards redevelopment of the Connaught Street side of the ground, including a potential football museum. There was also some noises about UEFA/FAI part-funding a redevelopment as part of Euro 2020 payments to Dublin as a host city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

The South Dublin County Council have done well out of Tallaght Stadium. It's a boost to the area and they get a regular income from Shamrock Rovers, hosting finals such as the League and Setanta Cup and European games for other teams. Including the likes of Drogheda and Dundalk, who bypass Phibsboro for Tallaght. Managed to get Real Madrid over and all.

A redeveloped Dalymount Park owned by the DCC could attract these one off games and perhaps big friendlies like the Real Madrid one. A better-off Bohemians also means that they can challenge for honours more and challenge in Europe more often.That would mean more high profile matches, more rent for the council, more income for the local businesses etc. Having it as a municipal stadium also helps other sports. Look at the Carlisle Grounds in Bray becoming the new home of the international rugby league team. If a ground like that can attract that, Dayler has huge potential.

From a football point of view, I'd see it as a good thing to have a mid-sized stadium in North Dublin City. Like the way South Dublin has the RDS after Lansdowne, this will be the Northside's second stadium after Croker. And what better place to have it than Dalymount Park, the traditional home of Irish football? A football museum would also be a fantastic addition for the area and, again, a perfect place to have it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

What happened to Shels? Was the plan not to buy Tolka Park aswell and relocate them both to one stadium(Dalymount)?

Nim wrote: »
    What happened to Shels? Was the plan not to buy Tolka Park aswell and relocate them both to one stadium(Dalymount)?

Situation there as far as I'm aware is - council currently own Tolka Park, but Shels have a 60 (I think) year lease on it, that still has most of the time to run on it. The council did indeed want to sell Tolka and build apartments, moving Shels into Dalymount in the process. No agreement has yet been reached with Shels about cancelling their lease.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0608/706656-dalymount-park/

News broke today that Dalymount Park is to be sold to DCC for €3.8m in an arrangement seemingly designed to help the club pay down its substantial debts. The intention is to develop a municipal sport centre, however the emphasis is to remain on soccer.

The question I ask is this a right and fair way for public funds to be spent and could they be put to better use - such as developing pitches and sportsgrounds in the municipal parks? To an outsider like myself this looks like public money being used yet again to bail out a private enterprise (albeit supporter owned).

Surely public money should be spent on facilities that are open to all, not just a ground used predominantly by a professional soccer club?

3.8 million is about the average price for a gaff in Dartry or Ballsbridge fobbed off on the taxpayer after the guy who "bought it" fcuked off to Grand Cayman for a while,

I don't think it's a lot to ask to help the smellies and unwashed scum who like to kick a ball or watch others kick a ball once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

kneemos wrote: »

Im bohs,born and bred.Costs me 15quid to get in the jodi stand every second Friday,Where all the money goes is anyone's guess.We nailed Dundalk Town a few days ago. 26 home games without defeat and we got them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

ClovenHoof wrote: »

They could have easily held out for a scuzzy developer with a much larger bid so he could turn it into a Tescos and a few apartments with an incredible history buried below it and forgotten.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/bohemians-say-yes-to-the-sale-of-dalymount-park-in-65m-deal-26363606.html

That was their original plan but they didn't get it done in time before the crash.

This is good news though.

Advertisement