Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth the while to convert a Hiace? Scared to make the jump

Options
  • 08-06-2015 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey all,
    I want to buy a Hiace Van from Ireland and convert it to Campervan for insurance and tax purposes. I have been trying to get lots of info I just have a few burning questions :)

1. It seems like people have had hassle insuring vans under the 1.8 mt rule. Is this true?
    2. Is there some kind of mileage limitation on using them.?
    3. Have people been ripped of with the vrt?

I have a budget of about 8 altogether so its a bit tight and if they screw me.. then well .. Im screwed. I appreciate your time .
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Unless you really are interested in the conversion of the van and doing the work I would find a camper for €8k and get camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you want a camper then grand but please don't try to do it for cheap tax and insurance, the insurance brokers get a lot of people trying it on and it messes it up for everybody else.

You need to check everything out first ring revenue and a broker explain what you wand to do best to get it in writing. If its your only car then expect to pay 600 olus for insurance 350 if you have a car already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 thecurlyone

Thanks for the replies. Yes I want to use it for camping and not just for cheap tax and insurance. I will use it as my own vehicle as I spend most of my life travelling and sleeping outdoors anyways. I understand theres alot of chancers out there. But I dont want to lose this money on being under informed.

I have been figuring out that its cheaper to buy a half decent Hiace ( which has just become available). I have looked for converted campers but they seem very old for the price and mileage. I also need a low roof as it is much more practical for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

the low roof is only a problem nowadays getting insurance. The limit as far as taxing it has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Looking around sites the last few days I don't see any Hiace campers. Not to say you can't do it but it might be less hassle to get a T4 or T5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Would a Mazda Bongo suit your needs? I see one for sale in Cork for 4500.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

OP, you won't see many on the Hiace as they are not an ideal base van. The engine under the front seats means restricted access to the rear from the cab. They are also a narrow van, meaning its not wide enough to sleep across the van. The Ducato or Transit are a better choice for base vehicle I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

ianobrien wrote: »
    OP, you won't see many on the Hiace as they are not an ideal base van. The engine under the front seats means restricted access to the rear from the cab. They are also a narrow van, meaning its not wide enough to sleep across the van. The Ducato or Transit are a better choice for base vehicle I'm afraid.

Powervan has engine in the front and is a lot safer. LWB powervan is quite large in the back. Main issue is the sides taper in a lot so its narrow at roof level.

I've a high top hiace camper and it f-ing rocks I'd never look back only problem is it's a jap import automatic and it drinks diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I've a high top hiace camper and it f-ing rocks I'd never look back only problem is it's a jap import automatic and it drinks diesel

Ours was auto too main issue was the torque converter lockup solenoid didn't kick in until something like 80km so it was off 99% of the time around the twisty roads of the west. I had considered putting in a speedo adjuster to fool it into locking up earlier. I loved it so much I even looked at putting a tdi in it.

• Advertisement

moodrater wrote: »
    Ours was auto too main issue was the torque converter lockup solenoid didn't kick in until something like 80km so it was off 99% of the time around the twisty roads of the west. I had considered putting in a speedo adjuster to fool it into locking up earlier. I loved it so much I even looked at putting a tdi in it.

Auto box heavy chassis leafe springs and the road from ballins to belmullet = a world of pain

Advertisement