Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brink [HBO/Sky Atlantic *Spoilers*]

Options
  • 07-06-2015 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85,613 ✭✭✭✭

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Jack Black and Tim Robbins are headed to The Brink, a half-hour comedy pilot for HBO about three compromised souls attempting to stave off World War III.
    Written by Weeds Roberto Benabib and brother Kim and directed by Jay Roach (Game Change), the project is described as an epic dark comedy focusing on a geopolitical crisis and its effect on three disparate and desperate men. Black will play Alex Coppins, a lowly Foreign Service officer reluctantly caught on the ground in the middle of it all, while Robbins will play US Secretary of State Walter Hollander, a man of big appetites and little patience for the war mongers in the Situation Room. Casting for the third lead continues. Roberto Benabib will serve as an EP alongside Jerry Weintraub and Roach. Kim Benabib is a Co-EP. Black and Robbins will serve as producers Source

It is set to premiere on Sky Atlantic on Monday June 22 at 10pm, less than 24 hours behind it's debut on HBO in the US

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

the trailer looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

I'll watch more of this, but I'm not sure how the Jack Black schtick is suited to the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hof1982

I thought this was very entertaining, just the right mix of humour and Tim Robbins plays his role excellently. Will certainly watch more.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

This show is great, really enjoying it. Tim Robbins is excellent and Jack Black is suprisingly tolerable and plays his role well. Check it out guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Really enjoying this show...great for a few laughs !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Glad I stumbled across this thread today as I hadn't heard of this at all; have watched the first 3 episodes now and loved them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

It is a laugh. Not Dr. Strangelove but what is. What makes it funnier is it has the PC brigade in knots over the fact that some people of middle eastern origin may be power crazed idiots and that some people in Washington may be degenerate morons. Tim Robbins and the Apocalypse lovin' ambassador make up for Jack Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

The wife's Toy-boy with the big shlong though, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Watched the first episode of this and it wasnt bad. Does it pick up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,613 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'm doing a rewatch of The West Wing. I really think they missed a trick - Tim Robbins would have been a much better prez than Martin Sheen. Several world wars, numerous sex scandals, a few coups and assassination attempts but it would have been a funnier show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I've searched boards and cannot see mention of this show.

Is anyone following this? I think it's hilarious.

They are very short episodes, only 20 minutes each. It's 10 episodes in and leaves you wanting more.

A dark comedy it boasts Tim Robbins, Jack Black (actually quite good in this) and some other well know actors with a good cameo by Rob Brydon.

It follows the US Secretary of State as he tries to stop US military hawks from triggering WW3 and a US diplomat who badly wants to get transferred from Pakistan to Paris.

If you're not following it, you're missing out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I found the first few episodes hilarious...the rest have been so-so, am enjoying it overall...non-sensical but funny

solerina wrote: »
    I found the first few episodes hilarious...the rest have been so-so, am enjoying it overall...non-sensical but funny

It's a bit mad at times, but never fails to get a couple of laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Been enjoying it myself. Was sceptical before seeing it but Jack Black is surprisingly tolerable which definitely helps. It's a bit of a surreal and obviously over the top look on the political relationships between the US and the Middle East. It won't win any awards for realism but it keeps me entertained for about 20 minutes each week.

Also really liking the soundtrack, not a huge amount of songs throughout but each episode seems to end with a Vietnam War-era song from the likes of the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix and Cream - which adds to the sense of impending war imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

The more I watch it the more I am loving this show. Think I'm going to watch it all in one sitting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

That sucks; weird they've cancelled it after renewing it to begin with.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

No great loss though. Entertaining ****e for the most part, but forgettable. Might have been tough trying to get Robbins/Black etc to sign on and maybe without them they cancelled? No idea myself of course.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Advertisement