Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long before car hire wants...

Options
  • 07-06-2015 9:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I had a curtsey car for 2 weeks after someone writing my car off and when taking the car, I had to give my debit card details. I have heard to many bad stories about hire places taking money from peoples accounts for scrapes that where already on the car when they received it which made me empty my account of cash in case I got stung.

What I want to know, when will I be OK to lodge the cash back into my account and know that I'll have no worries about it getting drawn from the hire place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

duckcfc wrote: »
    I had a curtsey car for 2 weeks after someone writing my car off and when taking the car, I had to give my debit card details. I have heard to many bad stories about hire places taking money from peoples accounts for scrapes that where already on the car when they received it which made me empty my account of cash in case I got stung.

What I want to know, when will I be OK to lodge the cash back into my account and know that I'll have no worries about it getting drawn from the hire place.

After you drop back the rental car and they sign the return form

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

I'm not sure that emptying your account will save you from having your card debited if there is damage.

Yes, there have been cases of companies debiting for damage that may have been on the car when you received it. As you'll be aware you should inspect the car carefully and bring to the attention of the company rep on site any damage that you can see. Don't assume it has already been noticed and taken account of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

cml387 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that emptying your account will save you from having your card debited if there is damage.

Yes, there have been cases of companies debiting for damage that may have been on the car when you received it. As you'll be aware you should inspect the car carefully and bring to the attention of the company rep on site any damage that you can see. Don't assume it has already been noticed and taken account of.

How can they debit it if there's nothing in it. What if I cancel my card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

How can they debit it if there's nothing in it. What if I cancel my card

Why do you seem so certain they will be trying for additional payment that you are willing to go to such extraordinary lengths?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Why do you seem so certain they will be trying for additional payment that you are willing to go to such extraordinary lengths?

Because I like my hard earned cash to stay where it is <SNIP>. I always like being one step ahead of **** like this rather than standing with my tail between my legs and getting caught out like this. They are well known for taking money from peoples accounts so why not try to use measures to avoid losing money. Sadly its the times were in where we've to use measures like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Funny , I have never heard this happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Have you ever heard of unauthorised overdrafts? The bank does allow debits without funds then charges you highly for it. An empty account gives you zero protection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Because I like my hard earned cash to stay where it is <SNIP>. I always like being one step ahead of **** like this rather than standing with my tail between my legs and getting caught out like this. They are well known for taking money from peoples accounts so why not try to use measures to avoid losing money. Sadly its the times were in where we've to use measures like this.

No. Doesn't add up. Do you do this for every service you give your card to?
    The odds of you meeting a car hire scam are tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

car hire companies have plenty of ways of getting cash out of you without resorting to stuff that will get them put in jail for theft !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I rent around 7-8 times per year and I've only had a problem once.

Even then the damage wasn't marked on the sheet, hertz in Dublin went back and checked records for previous damage and acknowledged it was a mistake.

I think you're being paranoid, you saw all this stuff online and think now they are out to get you.

BTW your Insurance are paying for the car, if there are problems they'll just get the money from your insurance company and your insurance company will chase you for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Agreed with the above poster. I rent multiple times per year, mostly in the US and abroad and never once had an issue. If you deal with a reputable company and follow the usual checks, chances are that nothing should happen. If it does, you can dispute it.

Plus, you've got to admit the fact that if you did cause damage, they are well entitled to look for their money.

Advertisement