Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TEFL Recommendations

• 07-06-2015 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello everyone

I am a soon-to-be 25 year old, single, male who is undertaking a CELTA course over the summer and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where to teach?

I’m not just using CELTA as an opportunity to see the world and I would be interested in career progression, but at this stage my main interest is moving to a country where I can enjoy the lifestyle and try new things.

Given that it’s my first year away, I’m not crazy about making a lot of money. At the moment I just want enough to pay my bills and food and to be able to enjoy what the city has to offer.

I have a degree in filmmaking. I’m an occasional freelance filmmaker and aspiring writer, so going to a country where I can continue these sort of endeavours would be nice.

I’m also looking for a place where I don’t have to rely on public transport, as it’s always done my head in and takes away my thirst for exploration. A scenic city with a sense of tranquillity that still has a bit of a big city buzz would be the ideal package.

I’m not interested in going to a different country to spend half my time drunk as a mule, but I’d also like to go to a country where drinking isn’t frowned upon.

Obviously every city has its street crime and stuff but I’d like to live somewhere relatively safe.

In regards to the actual teaching, I’ve heard of some schools doing split shifts which doesn’t appeal to me at all. Ideally I’d be working pretty standard 9-5 hours. Given that it’ll be my first time ever doing this, I’d like to start off somewhere where the work isn’t too demanding so I can ease myself into it.

Before anyone goes off on a rant about how I can't have it all and I need to be more realistic with my expectations etc, I am well aware of this :D I’m just trying to forge an interest in some specific countries/cities so I can start doing a bit of research on my own. And I know this is a bit of a general question, but what’s the best way to start looking for work? I have no idea where to begin.

Thanks!

Advertisement