Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pears not fuiting

Options
  • 07-06-2015 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have two pear trees, Doyenne du Comice and I think a Conference, about 6-7 years old.
    Hardly ever got fruit from them; last time was 3-4 years ago.
    Each year there are blossoms, fruit sets, and then nothing.
    Attached are a couple of pics as they are now; this is what I see each year.
    Any ideas why these do not develop into fruit, and is there anything I can do at this stage?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

Probably feckin birds robbing your pears. often they just knock the fruit off and you find the fruit on the ground.

A net over the tree. And / or a 12-gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

there is an old saying, you have to wait for pears

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

deandean wrote: »
    Probably feckin birds robbing your pears. often they just knock the fruit off and you find the fruit on the ground.

A net over the tree. And / or a 12-gauge.

Don't think so....they never get to the point of fruiting, never see anything on the ground. Unless they are eating the sets off the tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭geosynchronous orbit

Conference is self-fertile so should be producing well at this stage.... are there lots of blooms? when? what fertilizer if any are you using? is it still vigorously putting out new wood?

The Comice is self- sterile so needs another tree to pollinate it - if there are problems with the Conference then it is unlikely that the Comice will be pollinated unless there are other pear trees nearby (within 100 meters)

Edit: Just looked at the photos... I see a brown tinge to the leaves and holes. Are there holes in the bark of the tree.. this could be bark beetle. They bore into the tree and water uptake is severly limited which could be responsible for the fruits not developing even though they have set

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a bad year this year for fruit anyway, going by the ones we have in our garden.

• Advertisement

Edit: Just looked at the photos... I see a brown tinge to the leaves and holes. Are there holes in the bark of the tree.. this could be bark beetle. They bore into the tree and water uptake is severly limited which could be responsible for the fruits not developing even though they have set

No, don't see anything like that...

it's a bad year this year for fruit anyway, going by the ones we have in our garden.

Last year was good, but pears still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭blackbox

Are they exposed to cold / wind? Pears like shelter.

blackbox wrote: »
    Are they exposed to cold / wind? Pears like shelter.

I would not have thought it was very exposed, but it is not very sheltered either. There has been a fair wind chill recently, so maybe that is it.

Thanks.

Advertisement